Old 03-08-2010, 03:24 PM
"Peter Shulkin"

Default user id lockout

Using RHEL5 (2.6.18-92.1.13.el5), and trying to get user lockout after 3
failed attempts. After researching the RedHat docs, and what else I can
find online, I am unsuccessful at locking out users.

I have pam version.099.

rpm -q pam

pam-0.99.6.2-3.27.el5

pam-0.99.6.2-3.27.el5

and I have these entries in my /etc/pam.d/system-auth file, but nothing
seems to make any difference. Before I added these 2 lines, we saw
entries in the faillog, but now, even when I take the entries out, we
have no update of faillog or tallylog.

auth required /lib/security/pam_tally2.so onerr=fail deny=2
unlocktime=3600

account required /lib/security/pam_tally2.so deny=2
lock_time=3600 no_magic_root reset

Appreciate the assistance.

Thanks,

Peter Shulkin