Old 03-08-2010, 03:03 PM
"Florez, Nestor"

Default system-config-packages

Hi,

I am running rhel5.0 in one host and rhel5.4 on another.

I noticed that the system-config-packages on rhel 5.4 when you click

The 'Browse' tab it shows the packages by 'Desktop Environment', 'Applications',

'Development', etc...

On rhel 5.0 the Browse tab does not show anything.

Is there a way to upgrade the system-config-packages command to the latest

on my rhel5.0 ( I do not want to upgrade the OS)?

Thanks,

Néstor J

Old 03-08-2010, 05:08 PM
"Stainforth, Matthew (SD/DS)"

That is provided by a package called "pirut". You can try doing a "yum update pirut" but it might want to update its dependencies as well.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:57 PM
"Florez, Nestor"

How do I find out what is affected by updating the pirut package?

Thanks,

Old 03-08-2010, 06:24 PM
"Kaydo"

Can you be more specific by "what is affected"? The system will notify you
of any dependencies that need to be updated when you run "yum update pirut"
and give you a chance to decide whether you would like to proceed or not.

If you are looking for files that change when you do an install, you could
always do something like "find / -cmin x" to see what files were modified in
the last x minutes.

- Kaydo

How do I find out what is affected by updating the pirut package?

Thanks,

Néstor :-)

On Behalf Of Stainforth, Matthew (SD/DS)

Old 03-08-2010, 07:21 PM
"Florez, Nestor"

I will like to know what files will be affected before I do the package update/upgrade,
To determine if I do want to go ahead and update/upgrade.

TNX

Old 03-08-2010, 07:36 PM
"Marti, Robert"

yum update pirut will tell you what packages will be affected before they are patched. Man yum for more information.

FYI, running a 5.0 box is a pretty major security risk.

Rob Marti

Old 03-08-2010, 07:40 PM

> yum update pirut will tell you what packages will be affected before they
> are patched. Man yum for more information.
<snip>
To be more explicit - yum update will show you everything to be updated
(without anything, it will try to update the entire system)... but then
*ask* you [y/N]. This is as opposed to yum -y update <whatever>, which
will do it without stopping to ask.

mark