Old 02-24-2010, 08:51 PM
cliff here

Default System crash

I apologize this is more of a Fedora questions, but I just had a machine
crash during an update, and on reboot I find I can't log into X, I check my
/var/log/secure and I get an statement about my X login

User not know to the underlying authentication module

but I can login to the TTY, any expedited hel[ would be greatly appreciated.

NOTICE: This message, including all attachments, is intended for the use of
recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message
to its intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
immediately by replying "Received in error" and immediately delete this
message and all its attachments.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:37 PM
mark

cliff here wrote:

I apologize this is more of a Fedora questions, but I just had a machine
crash during an update, and on reboot I find I can't log into X, I check my
/var/log/secure and I get an statement about my X login

User not know to the underlying authentication module

but I can login to the TTY, any expedited hel[ would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like the update updated the video driver, and you need to redo the X setup.

mark

--
The only thing Christianity and the Christian right in this country have in
common is a lot of letters in their name. - Seth, <sethb@panix.com>

Old 02-25-2010, 03:12 AM
Barry Brimer

Backup your current /etc/pam.d directory, and use rpm to reinstall your
pam. If needed boot into rescue mode, and then try. You might need to
use the --replacepkgs option in rpm .. and in this case using --repackage
couldn't hurt either.

It's a Pam issue I'm pretty sure I just don't know how to fix it

Sent from my iPhone

I apologize this is more of a Fedora questions, but I just had a machine
crash during an update, and on reboot I find I can't log into X, I check
my

/var/log/secure and I get an statement about my X login
User not know to the underlying authentication module
but I can login to the TTY, any expedited hel[ would be greatly
appreciated.
Sounds like the update updated the video driver, and you need to redo the X
setup.

mark

--
The only thing Christianity and the Christian right in this country have in
common is a lot of letters in their name. - Seth, <sethb@panix.com>

!DSPAM:4b85cb08281591281760219!

Old 02-25-2010, 01:41 PM

Hi Cliff
usually an update crash suggests there is a package that removed a library,
overwrote a config file, or generally messed something up. I would
investigate what the 'update' did with a rpm -qa --last | more and see
what packages were in the update. Review what those rpms did in hopes one
points to doing something with your X client or your pam auth.

You said you can TTY, do you mean ssh? If you ssh into the box it creates
an authorization key which sets that user up to be recognized again. That
should help with authentication issues. Also, has anything changed with
your X client on your desktop? I log into many other machines to work with
a java gui that requires Xming. If I just putty to the machine, the default
doesn't have X11 forwarding turned on and then the gui won't come up. I
have since gone and made the default always have this on.

And what do your /var/log/messages and secure logs say? Any hints to what
is not launching or working?

Phebe Mertes
Lotus Notes sucks

Old 02-25-2010, 01:56 PM

Phoebe wrote:

> You said you can TTY, do you mean ssh? If you ssh into the box it creates
> an authorization key which sets that user up to be recognized again. That
> should help with authentication issues. Also, has anything changed with
> your X client on your desktop? I log into many other machines to work with
<snip>
This was my reaction - if you can ssh in, or even log in via command line
from the console, it's up, and then the issue seems to go to
/etc/X11/xorg.conf

mark

Old 02-25-2010, 02:22 PM
cliff here

When i say tty i mean virtual tty as in ALT+f1,f2 etc... but I cannot login
through X, I checked the xserver pam module in /etc/pam.d

Mind you that X comes up fine, loads my dual monitor kmod driver. So when I
do try and log into x, i get errors in my secure log, which points me to the
Pam authentication issue. I tried to roll back and complete the update.. but
to no avail

Old 02-25-2010, 02:25 PM
cliff here

Sigh* as much as I would like to continue to try and solve this problem It's
my work machine and I need it back up asap.. so I've backed up all my files
and I'm reinstalling.... much to my dismay

Old 02-25-2010, 02:29 PM

> When i say tty i mean virtual tty as in ALT+f1,f2 etc... but I cannot
> login through X, I checked the xserver pam module in /etc/pam.d
>
> Mind you that X comes up fine, loads my dual monitor kmod driver. So when
> I do try and log into x, i get errors in my secure log, which points me to
> the Pam authentication issue. I tried to roll back and complete the
> update.. but to no avail

OH! You didn't make this clear before - *now* I understand why you were
insisting it was pam.

Lessee, if you get a chance at some point, did pam have keyboard
authentication ok'd?

mark