Old 02-25-2010, 02:34 PM
cliff here

Default System crash

Not sure, I checked login, and xserver pam modules and they looked like the
standard ones.

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 10:29 AM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:

> > When i say tty i mean virtual tty as in ALT+f1,f2 etc... but I cannot
> > login through X, I checked the xserver pam module in /etc/pam.d
> >
> > Mind you that X comes up fine, loads my dual monitor kmod driver. So when
> > I do try and log into x, i get errors in my secure log, which points me
> > the Pam authentication issue. I tried to roll back and complete the
> > update.. but to no avail
>
> OH! You didn't make this clear before - *now* I understand why you were
> insisting it was pam.
>
> Lessee, if you get a chance at some point, did pam have keyboard
> authentication ok'd?
>
> mark

NOTICE: This message, including all attachments, is intended for the use of
recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message
to its intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
immediately by replying "Received in error" and immediately delete this
message and all its attachments.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:00 PM
cliff here

So I reinstalled and reupdated.. and it broke again... I'm so stumped

Old 02-25-2010, 08:09 PM
"Stainforth, Matthew (SD/DS)"

The problem is "it broke" and "can't login" and "i get errors in my secure log" and "I'm pretty sure it's pam" are awfully vague and don't convey much information.

Exactly what behavior and errors are you seeing? If you want help, you'll have to be specific.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:27 PM
cliff here

Sorry, I'm trying to collect as much info as I can to bring this box back
up.. here is what I am seeing

Feb 25 15:37:01 DBC115B useradd[3034]: failed adding user 'gdm', data
deleted
Feb 25 15:52:06 DBC115B useradd[3071]: failed adding user 'gdm', data
deleted
Feb 25 15:52:33 DBC115B pam: gdm-password[3000]:
pam_unix(gdm-password:session): session opened for user c4ifford by (uid=0)

So to surmise the problem.. i can ssh and virt tty into the box.. but I
cannot log in through gdm. so no X.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:29 PM
cliff here

another thing to note... logging in as root in the gdm doesn't make any
entry to /var/log/secure.. whereas my basic user id does

Old 02-25-2010, 08:35 PM
cliff here

here is my /var/log/audit.log file

type=USER_LOGIN msg=audit(1267133127.780:27472): user pid=3414 uid=0
auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 subj=system_u:system_r:xdm_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023
msg='uid=0: exe="/usr/libexec/gdm-session-worker" hostname=? addr=?
terminal=/dev/tty7 res=failed'
type=USER_AUTH msg=audit(1267133152.918:27473): user pid=3427 uid=0
auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 subj=system_u:system_r:xdm_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023
msg='op=PAM:authentication acct="c4ifford"
exe="/usr/libexec/gdm-session-worker" hostname=? addr=? terminal=:0
res=success'
type=USER_ACCT msg=audit(1267133152.919:27474): user pid=3427 uid=0
auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 subj=system_u:system_r:xdm_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023
msg='op=PAM:accounting acct="c4ifford" exe="/usr/libexec/gdm-session-worker"
hostname=? addr=? terminal=:0 res=success'
type=CRED_ACQ msg=audit(1267133152.922:27475): user pid=3427 uid=0
auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 subj=system_u:system_r:xdm_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023
msg='op=PAM:setcred acct="c4ifford" exe="/usr/libexec/gdm-session-worker"
hostname=? addr=? terminal=:0 res=success'
type=LOGIN msg=audit(1267133152.922:27476): login pid=3427 uid=0 old
auid=4294967295 new auid=500 old ses=4294967295 new ses=16
type=USER_ROLE_CHANGE msg=audit(1267133152.939:27477): user pid=3427 uid=0
auid=500 ses=16 subj=system_u:system_r:xdm_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 msg='pam:
default-context=unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023
selected-context=unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023:
exe="/usr/libexec/gdm-session-worker" hostname=? addr=? terminal=?
res=success'
type=USER_START msg=audit(1267133152.955:27478): user pid=3427 uid=0
auid=500 ses=16 subj=system_u:system_r:xdm_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023
msg='op=PAM:session_open acct="c4ifford"
exe="/usr/libexec/gdm-session-worker" hostname=? addr=? terminal=:0
res=success'
type=USER_LOGIN msg=audit(1267133152.955:27479): user pid=3427 uid=0
auid=500 ses=16 subj=system_u:system_r:xdm_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 msg='uid=500:

Old 02-25-2010, 08:35 PM

> another thing to note... logging in as root in the gdm doesn't make any
> entry to /var/log/secure.. whereas my basic user id does

Right, it's only logging other users than root.

Here's a thought: as root, first see if gdm is already in /etc/passwd, and
if gdm, gid 42 exists. If not, it looks as though it's supposed to be uid
and groupid 42 (yes, that's The Answer), with shell of nologin, so do
groupadd and useradd manually, then see what happens.

mark

Old 02-25-2010, 08:48 PM
cliff here

so your saying to remove the gdm (it does exist) user and group

Old 02-25-2010, 08:48 PM

> here is my /var/log/audit.log file
>
> type=USER_LOGIN msg=audit(1267133127.780:27472): user pid=3414 uid=0
> auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 subj=system_u:system_r:xdm_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023
> msg='uid=0: exe="/usr/libexec/gdm-session-worker" hostname=? addr=?
> terminal=/dev/tty7 res=failed'
<snip>
Oh - is selinux on, and enforcing?

Old 02-25-2010, 08:50 PM
cliff here

group -gdm:x:479:
passwd - gdm:x:42:479::/var/lib/gdm:/sbin/nologin