Old 02-24-2010, 11:53 AM
Laszlo Beres

Default any place to see all rpms that come with RHEL?

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 11:23 AM, ESGLinux <esggrupos@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a doubt. Suposse I am new customer that wants to begin use RHEL 5.
> Where can I see all the avaliable rpms that comes with it?
>
> Now, I have an ISO and I look in it, but I think there is a bette way to do
> it if you haven´t the ISO.

I'd recommend getting an evaluation subscription:

http://www.redhat.com/rhel/details/eval/

--
László Béres Unix system engineer
http://www.google.com/profiles/beres.laszlo

Old 02-24-2010, 03:05 PM
ESGLinux

Hi,

This is not the solution I´m looking for,

Think about this situation, I am in a meeting with a possible customer that
is not sure if RHEL has a rpm he thinks is necessary to have to decide to
buy RHEL. I´m looking for a way to get this info with my laptop with a poor
connection to internet, without downloading an ISO or eval.

I´m looking for the tipical ls-lR that has the ftp servers....

Do you konw what I mean?

Greetigns,

ESG

Old 02-24-2010, 03:16 PM
inode0

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:05 AM, ESGLinux <esggrupos@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is not the solution I´m looking for,
>
> Think about this situation, I am in a meeting with a possible customer that
> is not sure if RHEL has a rpm he thinks is necessary to have to decide to
> buy RHEL. I´m looking for a way to get this info with my laptop with a poor
> connection to internet, without downloading an ISO or eval.
>
> I´m looking for the tipical ls-lR that has *the ftp servers....
>
> Do you konw what I mean?

While it isn't really very convenient in my opinion you can check the
source rpms on the ftp site by wading around in

http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/

There are also package manifests for some versions of RHEL available
but they seem spotty, not available for all versions always.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Release_Manifest/index.html

John

Old 02-24-2010, 03:29 PM
"Marti, Robert"

Log into your rhn account and search the package list there.

Sent from my iPhone

Old 02-24-2010, 03:31 PM
ESGLinux

Hi,

> While it isn't really very convenient in my opinion you can check the
> source rpms on the ftp site by wading around in
>
> http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/

this could be... It will be better to get the same but for binary packages
but it can solve the doubt if a rpm is or not in the distro...

> There are also package manifests for some versions of RHEL available
> but they seem spotty, not available for all versions always.
>

> http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Release_Manifest/index.html

this is the exact thing I´m looking for but with all the packages because
this page has just a few packages

Greetings,

ESG

Old 02-24-2010, 03:37 PM
ESGLinux

2010/2/24 Marti, Robert <RJM002@shsu.edu>

> Log into your rhn account and search the package list there.

Hi Robert,

2 possible scenarios:

1 - I haven´t an account. What can I do?
2 - Where in the rhn do you get the list of rpms of a specific distribition?

Thanks,

ESG

Old 02-24-2010, 03:44 PM
inode0

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:31 AM, ESGLinux <esggrupos@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

>> While it isn't really very convenient in my opinion you can check the
>> source rpms on the ftp site by wading around in
>>
>> http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/
>>

> this could be... It will be better to get the same but for binary packages
> but it can solve the doubt if a rpm is or not in the distro...

You do need to be careful because some source rpms generate multiple
binary rpms, but it is something.

>> There are also package manifests for some versions of RHEL available
>> but they seem spotty, not available for all versions always.
>>

>> http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Release_Manifest/index.html
>>

> this is the exact thing I´m looking for but with all the packages because
> this page has just a *few packages

Yes, I hear this request frequently from others and it would be nice
if there was a complete and updated package manifest available for
each version of RHEL. As mentioned by others the full list is
searchable on RHN but this doesn't really help everyone doing
investigation.

John

Old 02-24-2010, 03:49 PM
inode0

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:37 AM, ESGLinux <esggrupos@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/2/24 Marti, Robert <RJM002@shsu.edu>
>
>> Log into your rhn account and search the package list there.
>>

> Hi Robert,
>
> 2 possible scenarios:
>
> 1 - I haven´t an account. What can I do?

You create one, then request an eval, then look around. Isn't that a
convenient way to find out what version of apache is available?

> 2 - Where in the rhn do you get the list of rpms of a specific distribition?

Click on channels, for the one you are interested in click on the packages link.

John

Old 02-24-2010, 03:50 PM

> 2010/2/24 Marti, Robert <RJM002@shsu.edu>
>
>> Log into your rhn account and search the package list there.
<snip>
> 2 possible scenarios:
>
> 1 - I haven´t an account. What can I do?
> 2 - Where in the rhn do you get the list of rpms of a specific
> distribition?

Dumb thought: how 'bout doing a listing of the distro DVD, and putting
that in a file on your laptop? They don't, AFAIK, add packages to a distro
in updates.

mark

Old 02-24-2010, 03:52 PM
"Marti, Robert"

1. I thought this example was you talking to a customer. You have an
account, right?

2. Instead of getting the entire list, search for what you want.
There is a search box when you log in to rhn.

If you really want every rpm, making a list from the iso once and
carrying it with you would be your best bet.

Sent from my iPhone