Old 02-24-2010, 03:52 PM
Laszlo Beres

Default any place to see all rpms that come with RHEL?

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 5:37 PM, ESGLinux <esggrupos@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1 - I havenīt an account. What can I do?

I guess nothing - however the SRPMs are available, the distributed
media (even in ISO format) is "proprietary", you cannot get it unless
you have a valid subscription.

If you have access, it's enough to extract the primary.xml.gz file of
ISO, which contains all RPM names, versions, etc.

But why don't you address these questions to a Red Hat representative?
I'm sure you'll get an official answer.

--
László Béres Unix system engineer
http://www.google.com/profiles/beres.laszlo

Old 02-24-2010, 03:56 PM
inode0

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:50 AM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>> 2010/2/24 Marti, Robert <RJM002@shsu.edu>
>>
>>> Log into your rhn account and search the package list there.
> <snip>
>> 2 possible scenarios:
>>
>> 1 - I havenīt an account. What can I do?
>> 2 - Where in the rhn do you get the list of rpms of a specific
>> distribition?
>
> Dumb thought: how 'bout doing a listing of the distro DVD, and putting
> that in a file on your laptop? They don't, AFAIK, add packages to a distro
> in updates.

They do add packages but only rarely. The problem again is you need an
RHN account and entitlements to get the DVD to begin with.

John

Old 02-24-2010, 03:58 PM
Ray Van Dolson

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 08:52:24AM -0800, Marti, Robert wrote:
> 1. I thought this example was you talking to a customer. You have an
> account, right?
>
> 2. Instead of getting the entire list, search for what you want.
> There is a search box when you log in to rhn.
>
> If you really want every rpm, making a list from the iso once and
> carrying it with you would be your best bet.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Feb 24, 2010, at 10:46, "ESGLinux" <esggrupos@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > 2010/2/24 Marti, Robert <RJM002@shsu.edu>
> >
> >> Log into your rhn account and search the package list there.
> >>

> > Hi Robert,
> >
> > 2 possible scenarios:
> >
> > 1 - I havenīt an account. What can I do?
> > 2 - Where in the rhn do you get the list of rpms of a specific
> > distribition?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > ESG

Not sure if anyone's mentioned it yet or not, but you can also view all
the SRPM's here:

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Server/en/os/SRPMS/

Ray

Old 02-24-2010, 04:01 PM
inode0

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:52 AM, Marti, Robert <RJM002@shsu.edu> wrote:
> 1. *I thought this example was you talking to a customer. You have an
> account, right?

There are cases that come up all the time where the person doing the
investigating isn't a current customer.

There are cases where I am being asked what is included in something I
don't have entitlements for so I can't get that information from RHN
even if I am a current customer.

I think it is a legitimate request that package manifests be available
to the public, I don't see how it harms anything. I do see how it
helps potential customers become actual customers.d

John

Old 02-24-2010, 04:29 PM
ESGLinux

2010/2/24 inode0 <inode0@gmail.com>

> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:52 AM, Marti, Robert <RJM002@shsu.edu> wrote:
> > 1. I thought this example was you talking to a customer. You have an
> > account, right?
>
> There are cases that come up all the time where the person doing the
> investigating isn't a current customer.
>
> There are cases where I am being asked what is included in something I
> don't have entitlements for so I can't get that information from RHN
> even if I am a current customer.
>
> I think it is a legitimate request that package manifests be available
> to the public, I don't see how it harms anything. I do see how it
> helps potential customers become actual customers.d
>
> John

I agree with you John and that is the situation Iīm trying to solve.

All the other methods are valid if you already have something, the ISO, an
account...

Iīm not trying to solve the problem to know the rpms if you have the ISO,
you look in it... the problem is when you havenīt

ESG

Old 02-24-2010, 04:30 PM
ESGLinux

2010/2/24 inode0 <inode0@gmail.com>

> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:37 AM, ESGLinux <esggrupos@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2010/2/24 Marti, Robert <RJM002@shsu.edu>
> >
> >> Log into your rhn account and search the package list there.
> >>

> > Hi Robert,
> >
> > 2 possible scenarios:
> >
> > 1 - I havenīt an account. What can I do?
>
> You create one, then request an eval, then look around. Isn't that a
> convenient way to find out what version of apache is available?
>
> > 2 - Where in the rhn do you get the list of rpms of a specific
> distribition?
>
> Click on channels, for the one you are interested in click on the packages
> link.

Yes you are right, I donīt realize I have the channels options,

Thanks,

ESG

Old 02-24-2010, 04:35 PM
ESGLinux

2010/2/24 <m.roth@5-cent.us>

> > 2010/2/24 Marti, Robert <RJM002@shsu.edu>
> >
> >> Log into your rhn account and search the package list there.
> <snip>
> > 2 possible scenarios:
> >
> > 1 - I havenīt an account. What can I do?
> > 2 - Where in the rhn do you get the list of rpms of a specific
> > distribition?
>
> Dumb thought: how 'bout doing a listing of the distro DVD, and putting
> that in a file on your laptop? They don't, AFAIK, add packages to a distro
> in updates.
>
> mark

The problem with this is that Red hat has a lot of different products, I
would like to be able to answer something like this:

Which version of Apache incluhes Red Hat Application Stack v.2 or similar,

Questions like that makes me and the comercial people crazy.

How can I convince anybody to use something if I donīt know what it has....

ESG

Old 02-24-2010, 04:41 PM

>> <snip>
>>> 2 possible scenarios:
>>>
>>> 1 - I havenīt an account. What can I do?
>>> 2 - Where in the rhn do you get the list of rpms of a specific
>>> distribition?
>>
>> Dumb thought: how 'bout doing a listing of the distro DVD, and putting
>> that in a file on your laptop? They don't, AFAIK, add packages to a
>> distro in updates.
>
> They do add packages but only rarely. The problem again is you need an
> RHN account and entitlements to get the DVD to begin with.

Or a) he already has one, since he's talking about RHEL, or b) he could
check CentOS.

mark

Old 02-25-2010, 01:55 PM
"Stainforth, Matthew (SD/DS)"

I'm not sure if this has been suggested yet but I just came across the release manifest that lists all the packages and their versions for ES5.3. Sadly it hasn't been updated for ES5.4

http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Release_Manifest/index.html

Old 02-25-2010, 02:04 PM
ESGLinux

2010/2/25 Stainforth, Matthew (SD/DS) <Matthew.Stainforth@gnb.ca>

> I'm not sure if this has been suggested yet but I just came across the
> release manifest that lists all the packages and their versions for ES5.3.
> Sadly it hasn't been updated for ES5.4
>

> http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Release_Manifest/index.html

Yes it has been sugested, and it will be perfect for what I want if it would
be updated :-(

Greetings and thanks for your answer,

ESG