Old 02-23-2010, 07:04 PM
Rob Tanner

Default Is RHEL ES5 really users older versions of Apache and PHP compared to FC7?

On 2/23/10 11:23 AM, "Eugene Vilensky" <evilensky@gmail.com> wrote:

>> It looks like the old Fedora Core distro included much more recent versions
>> of Apache and PHP than does the current Redhat distro. *Both systems are up
>> to date.
>>
>> Can anyone explain that?
>
> Hi Rob,
>
> The stability of package versions after release is in many ways the
> 'core' of what Red Hat Enterprise Linux is about. They will be
> somewhat aligned with a given version of Fedora at the time a version
> of RHEL was branched, but mostly frozen.
>
> RHEL5 at the time was mostly aligned with Fedora Core 6.
>
> [This doesn't exclude feature updates during the first phase of the
> 7-year life cycle:
> http://www.redhat.com/security/updates/errata/ ]
>
> [Red Hat takes care of security updates for older versions. This
> provides the stability that enterprises look for. It does make
> running some modern web apps a bit harder...]

And it looks like I'm going to have that exact problem. We use a CMS called
ModX and apparently it runs on PHP 5.1.1 and above except 5.1.6. There are
apparently some serious bugs in the PDO layer (functional, not security
issues) that cause serious problems with ModX which makes heavy use of the
PDO components in PHP.

Is there like a BETA repository or something like that where I can get and
install 5.2 or am I going to have to remove PHP entirely and build from
source?

Old 02-23-2010, 07:32 PM
Eugene Vilensky

> Is there like a BETA repository or something like that where I can get and
> install 5.2 or am I going to have to remove PHP entirely and build from
> source?

http://blog.famillecollet.com/pages/Config-en

But of course third party packages are explicitly Not Supported...even
when they Work Really Well.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:32 PM
"Carl T. Miller"

Eugene Vilensky wrote:
>> Is there like a BETA repository or something like that where I can get
>> and
>> install 5.2 or am I going to have to remove PHP entirely and build from
>> source?
>
> http://blog.famillecollet.com/pages/Config-en
>
> But of course third party packages are explicitly Not Supported...even
> when they Work Really Well.

Agreed. Red Hat doesn't support packages even if they're
from Oracle, like this tarball of php52 rpm files.

http://oss.oracle.com/projects/php