Old 02-23-2010, 06:04 PM
Iain Morris

Default Is RHEL ES5 really users older versions of Apache and PHP compared to FC7?

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 10:39 AM, Rob Tanner <rtanner@linfield.edu> wrote:

> Packages on FC7 are: httpd-2.2.8-1.fc7 and php-5.2.6-2.fc7
> Packages on ES5 are: httpd-2.2.3-31.el5_4.2 and php-5.1.6-24.el5_4.5

Rob, those versions for RHEL are consistent with what I'm seeing from RHN.
RHEL is very conservative with releases, and often considerably behind FC.

--
-- -
Iain Morris

Old 02-23-2010, 06:23 PM
Eugene Vilensky

> It looks like the old Fedora Core distro included much more recent versions
> of Apache and PHP than does the current Redhat distro. *Both systems are up
> to date.
>
> Can anyone explain that?

Hi Rob,

The stability of package versions after release is in many ways the
'core' of what Red Hat Enterprise Linux is about. They will be
somewhat aligned with a given version of Fedora at the time a version
of RHEL was branched, but mostly frozen.

RHEL5 at the time was mostly aligned with Fedora Core 6.

[This doesn't exclude feature updates during the first phase of the
7-year life cycle:
http://www.redhat.com/security/updates/errata/ ]

[Red Hat takes care of security updates for older versions. This
provides the stability that enterprises look for. It does make
running some modern web apps a bit harder...]