Old 11-22-2007, 07:35 PM
chloe K

Default script or other suggestion

Hi

I have ip list in my network

I need to check which ip is unused

what is better solution?

Write the ping script or use other command

eg:

for i in ip.txt
ping -c 3 $i

Thank you

Old 11-22-2007, 08:09 PM
Cameron Simpson

On 22Nov2007 15:35, chloe K <chloekcy2000@yahoo.ca> wrote:
| I have ip list in my network
| I need to check which ip is unused
| what is better solution?
|
| Write the ping script or use other command
|
| eg:
|
| for i in ip.txt
| ping -c 3 $i

That would be:

for i in `cat ip.txt`
do ping -c 3 $i || { echo "IP $i is not in use."; break; }
done

Of course, if a machine happens to be down/off, if will look
like its IP is not in use...

You could possibly do something clever with nmap or "ping -b",
but your approach is simple and effective.
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@zip.com.au> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Getting a SCSI chain working is perfectly simple if you remember that there
must be exactly three terminations: one on one end of the cable, one on the
far end, and the goat, terminated over the SCSI chain with a silver-handled
knife whilst burning *black* candles. - Anthony DeBoer

Old 11-23-2007, 01:30 PM
"Broekman, Maarten"

Why not just do DNS lookups to see which ones are assigned?

To build on what Cameron mentioned, just put in "host $i" in the loop
and check to see it returns anything sane. If so, you might want to
ping it to see if it's up, but as Cameron said, the system could be down
or off so that's not 100% reliable.

Maarten Broekman
Email: maarten.broekman@fmr.com

Old 11-23-2007, 01:35 PM
"Vivek J. Patankar"

chloe K wrote:

I have ip list in my network
I need to check which ip is unused
what is better solution?
Write the ping script or use other command
eg:
for i in ip.txt

ping -c 3 $i

If you have nmap installed you can use that to do the job. From the nmap
man page...

$ nmap -v -sP 192.168.0.0/16

विवेक ज. पाटणकर (Vivek J. Patankar)

Registered Linux User #374218
Fedora release 7 (Moonshine)
Linux 2.6.22.4-65.fc7 x86_64

Old 11-23-2007, 01:47 PM
"Herta Van den Eynde"

On 23/11/2007, Broekman, Maarten <Maarten.Broekman@fmr.com> wrote:
> Why not just do DNS lookups to see which ones are assigned?
>
> To build on what Cameron mentioned, just put in "host $i" in the loop
> and check to see it returns anything sane. If so, you might want to
> ping it to see if it's up, but as Cameron said, the system could be down
> or off so that's not 100% reliable.
>
> Maarten Broekman
> Email: maarten.broekman@fmr.com

To make matters worse, a system may be up but firewalls may block pings.

Kind regards,

Herta

Old 11-23-2007, 01:55 PM
chloe K

Thank you

how to use dns lookups

thank you again

"Broekman, Maarten" <Maarten.Broekman@FMR.COM> wrote: Why not just do DNS lookups to see which ones are assigned?

To build on what Cameron mentioned, just put in "host $i" in the loop
and check to see it returns anything sane. If so, you might want to
ping it to see if it's up, but as Cameron said, the system could be down
or off so that's not 100% reliable.

Maarten Broekman
Email: maarten.broekman@fmr.com

| Write the ping script or use other command
|
| eg:
|
| for i in ip.txt
| ping -c 3 $i

That would be:

for i in `cat ip.txt`
do ping -c 3 $i || { echo "IP $i is not in use."; break; }
done

Of course, if a machine happens to be down/off, if will look
like its IP is not in use...

You could possibly do something clever with nmap or "ping -b",
but your approach is simple and effective.
--
Cameron Simpson DoD#743

Old 11-23-2007, 02:00 PM
"Broekman, Maarten"

The command 'host' will look up an ip address and return the associated
hostname (if there is one).

The manpage should help.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:04 PM
Jim Canfield

or...just use nmap to ping a range.

******

Old 11-23-2007, 03:17 PM
chloe K

this is very fast

how come sometimes I get the hostname, most of the time it can't

how can I have hostname to print it out?

Host 192.168.63.245 appears to be up.
Host 192.168.63.246 appears to be up.
Host 192.168.63.247 appears to be up.
Host 192.168.63.248 appears to be up.
Host zzz.com (192.168.63.249) appears to be up.
Host 192.168.63.250 appears to be up.
Host 192.168.63.251 appears to be up.

Thank you

Jim Canfield <jcanfield@tshmail.com> wrote: or...just use nmap to ping a range.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:21 PM
"Herta Van den Eynde"

On 23/11/2007, chloe K <chloekcy2000@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> this is very fast
>
> how come sometimes I get the hostname, most of the time it can't
>
> how can I have hostname to print it out?
>

> Host 192.168.63.245 appears to be up.
> Host 192.168.63.246 appears to be up.
> Host 192.168.63.247 appears to be up.
> Host 192.168.63.248 appears to be up.
> Host zzz.com (192.168.63.249) appears to be up.
> Host 192.168.63.250 appears to be up.
> Host 192.168.63.251 appears to be up.
>
> Thank you
>
> Jim Canfield <jcanfield@tshmail.com> wrote: or...just use nmap to ping a range.
>
> EX: nmap -sP 192.168.1.1-254

If the host is not defined in dns, you won't get a translation of the
ip address to hostname.

Just compare the output of these commands:
'host 192.168.63.247'
'host 192.168.63.249'

Kind regards,

Herta