Old 10-28-2009, 04:06 AM
Prashant Singh

Default Grub error

I have installed xen and xen kernel through yum. I have three operating system installed on my system. Xen kernel has been installed on red hat 5.2 and boot loader is on red hat 5.0 ( different partition). Should I install Xen kernel through rpm command.

Thanks in advance
Prashant Singh

Did you compile the kernel by yourself?
Maybe it's because the kernel file "vmlinuz.." isn't compiled right.

Connect more, do more and share more with Yahoo! India Mail. Learn more. http://in.overview.mail.yahoo.com/

Old 10-28-2009, 05:15 AM
"Joey "ryutlis" Wang"

I think first you should check if you have grub updated right.
second, check that whether you have your vmlinuz file in the /boot folder,
don't forget initrd file.
third check /boot/grub/menu.lst, see if the paths to all the files are
right.
That ought to do it.

I installed Xen via yum too, it worked well. So I think your method is
right, just need to check those places to see if they are all right.

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 1:06 PM, Prashant Singh <prash4321@yahoo.co.in>wrote:

> I have installed xen and xen kernel through yum. I have three operating
> system installed on my system. Xen kernel has been installed on red hat 5.2
> and boot loader is on red hat 5.0 ( different partition). Should I install
> Xen kernel through rpm command.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Prashant Singh
>
> Did you compile the kernel by yourself?
> Maybe it's because the kernel file "vmlinuz.." isn't compiled right.
>
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 8:31 PM, Prashant Singh <prash4321@yahoo.co.in
> >wrote:
>
> > I recieve (Grub Error 13: "Invalid or unsupported executable format")
> >
> > error when i try to boot my Xen kernel on red hat 5.0 . Could any one
> give
> > me a solution.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Prashant Singh
> >

> Connect more, do more and share more with Yahoo! India Mail. Learn
> more. http://in.overview.mail.yahoo.com/

Joey "ryutlis" Wang

"To follow the path:
look to the master,
follow the master,
walk with the master,
see through the master,
become the master."

Old 02-26-2010, 06:34 PM
Thibaut MEYNIAL

Hi,

I installed many Karmics onto laptop or virtual machines and grub didn't run like I want.

With a desktop, i don't see grub running, that's ok, timeout is over.

Whereas, on some laptops and all virtuals machines (vmware or virtualbox), i see grub menu on every boot.
No timeout here, ni auto boot :'(

I see many help, ubuntu-fr.org and ubuntu' doc (man and grub wifi), nothing run.

Any ideas to have a silent grub, or autoboot on last kernel ?

--
Cordialement,
Thibaut

Old 02-26-2010, 07:20 PM
Tom H

> Any ideas to have a silent grub, or autoboot on last kernel ?

Set
GRUB_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=
in
/etc/default/grub

Old 03-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Thibaut MEYNIAL

A few days ago, i said :---
Hi,

I installed many Karmics onto laptop or virtual machines and grub didn't run like I want.

With a desktop, i don't see grub running, that's ok, timeout is over.

Whereas, on some laptops and all virtuals machines (vmware or virtualbox), *i see grub menu on every boot.
No timeout here, ni auto boot :'(

I see many help,*ubuntu-fr.org*and ubuntu' doc (man and grub wifi), nothing run.

Any ideas to have a silent grub, or autoboot on last kernel ?

--
Cordialement,
Thibaut--
and you answered :--
Any ideas to have a silent grub, or autoboot on last kernel ?

Set
GRUB_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=
in
/etc/default/grub--
Today, i tried to install an Ubuntu Karmic 9.10 with xubuntu-desktop and without memtest86+.
first reboot is OK, I saw any grub screen.Next reboot, grub menu is on with any timeout
I tried to set option above and update-grub in root cli.Reboot, grrr, same grub menu :'(((
Other ideas ?

--Cordialement,Thibaut MEYNIAL

Old 03-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Tom H

> I installed many Karmics onto laptop or virtual machines and grub didn't run
> like I want.
>
> With a desktop, i don't see grub running, that's ok, timeout is over.
>
> Whereas, on some laptops and all virtuals machines (vmware or virtualbox),
> *i see grub menu on every boot.
> No timeout here, ni auto boot :'(
>
> I see many help,*ubuntu-fr.org*and ubuntu' doc (man and grub wifi), nothing
> run.
>
> Any ideas to have a silent grub, or autoboot on last kernel ?

> Any ideas to have a silent grub, or autoboot on last kernel ?

> Set
> GRUB_TIMEOUT=0
> GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=
> in
> /etc/default/grub
> --
> Today, i tried to install an Ubuntu Karmic 9.10 with xubuntu-desktop and
> without memtest86+.
> first reboot is OK, I saw any grub screen.
> Next reboot, grub menu is on with any timeout
> I tried to set option above and update-grub in root cli.
> Reboot, grrr, same grub menu :'(((
> Other ideas ?

I use this grub config on a laptop and in VBox without a grub menu:

# cat /etc/default/grub
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=
GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_RECOVERY=true
GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=false
GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_GFXMODE=
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=
GRUB_SERIAL_COMMAND=
GRUB_TERMINAL_INPUT=console
GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT=console
GRUB_TERMINAL=console
GRUB_TIMEOUT=0
#

Old 03-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Thibaut MEYNIAL

In fact, I installed next version of grub2 (lucid lynx)
Ty
--
Cordialement,
Thibaut MEYNIAL