Old 02-02-2009, 01:44 PM

Default Problems with RHEL 5 server: NFS related?

Hi all,

- I experienced the same issue... I think it has something to do with
filesystem antributes.
To avoid this kind of situations on Solaris, a share option "anon=0" is
defined on the solaris nfs server.

<snip solaris nfs share manpage>

anon=uid
Set uid to be the effective user ID of
unknown users. By default, unknown users
are given the effective user ID UID_NOBODY.
If uid is set to -1, access is denied.
</snip>

- Are you using nfs version 3 or 4 ?
- try a tcpdump and filter out all the sent and received from an to the
nfs server/client.
- Verify if you don't have any other security limitations on your nfs
share defined.

If any one knows the share option which needs to be defined in
/etc/exports, I'll be glad to hear it! ;-)

Hope this helps!

grts,

Kim

Did you check if the filesystem(s) were mounted RW?

Note that you can't always trust the output of mount.

We ran into a kernel bug on some of our virtual servers a while ago
where a file system became read-only in the event of busy I/O retry or
path failover of the ESX Server's SAN storage (details available at
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd
=displayKC&externalId=51306)

Even though mount showed the file system mounted rw the file system was
in fact write-protected as trying to remount it showed:
# mount -o remount,rw /
mount: block device /dev/rootvg/rootlv is write-protected, mounting
read-only

Considering 2 of your symptoms indicate a problem with the file system
you might want to investigate in this direction.

HTH

Bram

The information contained in this e-mail is for the exclusive use of the
intended recipient(s) and may be confidential, proprietary, and/or
legally privileged. Inadvertent disclosure of this message does not
constitute a waiver of any privilege. If you receive this message in
error, please do not directly or indirectly use, print, copy, forward,
or disclose any part of this message. Please also delete this e-mail
and all copies and notify the sender. Thank you.

For alternate languages please go to http://bayerdisclaimer.bayerweb.com

Old 02-03-2009, 02:24 PM
Kenneth Holter

Thanks for your reply.

I did run "mount" to check for ro/rw attributes, and it said "rw" as
expected. How do you suggest I check the mount options besides running
"mount" - checking /etc/mtab?

The server is a physical Dell PowerEdge server, and not connected to any
remote storage. So it's all locally stored.

Output of dump2fs states that the file system is mounted cleanly. Are there
anything in particular you suggest I'd investigate further with regards to
file system problems?

Old 02-03-2009, 02:28 PM
Kenneth Holter

The NFS version running is 3. I've noticed that "kernel: svc: unknown
version (3)" messages are appearing in /var/log/messages, but I have no
indication that the NFS-share is not working properly. And again, I don't
understand why an NFS export could cause this kind of symptom.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:42 PM
George Magklaras

1)What is the OS and version of your clients?
2)uname -a on the RHEL 5 server.
3)I am not clear which error messages appear on the NFS client and which
on the NFS server for the symptoms below:

1. Running "ls" a particular folder gave us an input/output error. This
folder is exported read only as an NFS share, and was mounted on a client.
2. Running "/etc/init.d/nfs stop" resulted in a error containing
"Shutting down NFS services: exportfs: could not open /var/lib/nfs/etab for
locking" and "rm: cannot remove `/var/lock/subsys/nfs': Read-only file
system"

4)Can you show us both the /etc/exports on the server and the /etc/fstab
(or vfstab for Solaris)?

Best regards,
GM

George Magklaras BSc Hons MPhil
RHCE:805008309135525

Senior Computer Systems Engineer/UNIX-Linux Systems Administrator
EMBnet Technical Management Board
The Biotechnology Centre of Oslo,
University of Oslo
http://folk.uio.no/georgios

Old 02-04-2009, 07:24 AM
"Mertens, Bram"

I haven't checked it myself but perhaps /proc/mounts would show the
correct status?

When it happened on our systems I always noticed after running the mount
command with the remount,rw option:
# mount -o remount,rw /
mount: block device /dev/rootvg/rootlv is write-protected, mounting
read-only

Things to try initially would be those performed by the NFS init script,
creating/removing a file in `/var/lock/subsys/nfs' reading, checking the
file attributes of /var/lib/nfs/etab, etc.

Kind regards

Bram

Mazda Motor Logistics Europe NV, Blaasveldstraat 162, B-2830 Willebroek
VAT BE 0406.024.281, RPR Mechelen, ING 310-0092504-52, IBAN : BE64 3100 0925 0452, SWIFT : BBRUBEBB

Old 02-04-2009, 08:33 AM
Nigel Wade

Kenneth Holter wrote:

Hello list.

We experienced some problems with one of our RHEL 5 servers, but are having
difficulties finding the cause. Before we got the chance to gather enough
information I had to reboot the server, and are left with little information
about the state before reboot. For what it's worth I'll outline the symptoms
we saw, just in case someone has experienced a similar thing and knows
something what may have caused these problems.

The symptoms we saw were these:

1. Running "ls" a particular folder gave us an input/output error. This
folder is exported read only as an NFS share, and was mounted on a client.
2. Running "/etc/init.d/nfs stop" resulted in a error containing
"Shutting down NFS services: exportfs: could not open /var/lib/nfs/etab for
locking" and "rm: cannot remove `/var/lock/subsys/nfs': Read-only file
system"
3. Both the Red Hat Satellite probe and syslog (an possibly others) had
stopped working at approximately the same time.

First we thought the problems had something to do with NFS because of the
first two elements in the list above. But we don't see why a read only share
would case such problems. And the syslog/probe issues doesn't seem to be
related to NFS. Furthermore, we don't see any indication of file system or
hardware problems.

In short, we're not sure what exactly caused these problems, but a restart
seems to have done the trick. And since we didn't get to gather much info,
it's very difficult to get to the bottom of this. But does anyone have an
idea on what kind of problem source may cause the symptoms described above?
Maybe this is a well known bug of some kind.

Please ask me for further details if needed.

If a filesystem experiences too many I/O errors then the OS re-mounts it read-only to
protect the data. It looks like that is what has happened to /var.

The underlying problem you have is those I/O errors. I don't see how that could have
anything to do with NFS, on the client maybe but on the server those NFS problems are just
a symptom. There is most likely a filesystem error, a device driver error or a hardware
error. I'd put my money on a caused by c. It looks like the problem is on the
disk/controller which contains /var. It may just be that partition which is affected or it
may be all partitions on that disk or all disks on that controller. Backup what you can
immediately. Run disk diagnostics on that drive to try to identify the problem.

If there is a problem reading the disk then there's a good chance you'll get I/O errors
listing the directories. If /var is read-only you won't be able to stop NFS because it
can't write to /var/lock. /var mounted read-only will prevent syslog writing to its logs.

E-mail : nmw@ion.le.ac.uk
Phone : +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555