Old 02-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Kenneth Holter

Default Problems with RHEL 5 server: NFS related?

Hello list.

We experienced some problems with one of our RHEL 5 servers, but are having
difficulties finding the cause. Before we got the chance to gather enough
information I had to reboot the server, and are left with little information
about the state before reboot. For what it's worth I'll outline the symptoms
we saw, just in case someone has experienced a similar thing and knows
something what may have caused these problems.

The symptoms we saw were these:

1. Running "ls" a particular folder gave us an input/output error. This
folder is exported read only as an NFS share, and was mounted on a client.
2. Running "/etc/init.d/nfs stop" resulted in a error containing
"Shutting down NFS services: exportfs: could not open /var/lib/nfs/etab for
locking" and "rm: cannot remove `/var/lock/subsys/nfs': Read-only file
system"
3. Both the Red Hat Satellite probe and syslog (an possibly others) had
stopped working at approximately the same time.

First we thought the problems had something to do with NFS because of the
first two elements in the list above. But we don't see why a read only share
would case such problems. And the syslog/probe issues doesn't seem to be
related to NFS. Furthermore, we don't see any indication of file system or
hardware problems.

In short, we're not sure what exactly caused these problems, but a restart
seems to have done the trick. And since we didn't get to gather much info,
it's very difficult to get to the bottom of this. But does anyone have an
idea on what kind of problem source may cause the symptoms described above?
Maybe this is a well known bug of some kind.

Please ask me for further details if needed.

Regards,
Kenneth Holter

Old 02-02-2009, 01:24 PM
"Mertens, Bram"

Mazda Motor Logistics Europe NV, Blaasveldstraat 162, B-2830 Willebroek
VAT BE 0406.024.281, RPR Mechelen, ING 310-0092504-52, IBAN : BE64 3100 0925 0452, SWIFT : BBRUBEBB

> We experienced some problems with one of our RHEL 5 servers, but are
> having
> difficulties finding the cause. Before we got the chance to gather
> enough
> information I had to reboot the server, and are left with little
> information
> about the state before reboot. For what it's worth I'll outline the
> symptoms
> we saw, just in case someone has experienced a similar thing and knows
> something what may have caused these problems.
>
> The symptoms we saw were these:
>
> 1. Running "ls" a particular folder gave us an input/output error.
> This
> folder is exported read only as an NFS share, and was mounted on a
> client.
> 2. Running "/etc/init.d/nfs stop" resulted in a error containing
> "Shutting down NFS services: exportfs: could not open
> /var/lib/nfs/etab for
> locking" and "rm: cannot remove `/var/lock/subsys/nfs': Read-only
> file
> system"
> 3. Both the Red Hat Satellite probe and syslog (an possibly others)
> had
> stopped working at approximately the same time.
>
> First we thought the problems had something to do with NFS because of
> the
> first two elements in the list above. But we don't see why a read only
> share
> would case such problems. And the syslog/probe issues doesn't seem to
> be
> related to NFS. Furthermore, we don't see any indication of file
system
> or
> hardware problems.
>
> In short, we're not sure what exactly caused these problems, but a
> restart
> seems to have done the trick. And since we didn't get to gather much
> info,
> it's very difficult to get to the bottom of this. But does anyone have
> an
> idea on what kind of problem source may cause the symptoms described
> above?
> Maybe this is a well known bug of some kind.
>
> Please ask me for further details if needed.

Did you check if the filesystem(s) were mounted RW?

Note that you can't always trust the output of mount.

We ran into a kernel bug on some of our virtual servers a while ago
where a file system became read-only in the event of busy I/O retry or
path failover of the ESX Server's SAN storage (details available at
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd
=displayKC&externalId=51306)

Even though mount showed the file system mounted rw the file system was
in fact write-protected as trying to remount it showed:
# mount -o remount,rw /
mount: block device /dev/rootvg/rootlv is write-protected, mounting
read-only

Considering 2 of your symptoms indicate a problem with the file system
you might want to investigate in this direction.

HTH

Bram