Old 01-26-2009, 02:08 PM

Default Console problem

Ok, I come in a few minutes ago, and go to log into one server. Um, nope, no response to putty. So I pull up a VMware infrastructure client, which gets me to a real console... and a problem I've seen before: I want to log in, but as I try, the console log overwrites *everything*, and apparently interferes with my login. Is there any "easy" way to actually log in, without, say, rebooting?

mark

Old 01-28-2009, 03:49 PM
"Mertens, Bram"

Probably a bit late for you but perhaps useful as a reference for
others/future occasions.

If I'm not mistaken switching to another console should solve this,
messages are by default logged to the first console.

Regards

Bram

Mazda Motor Logistics Europe NV, Blaasveldstraat 162, B-2830 Willebroek
VAT BE 0406.024.281, RPR Mechelen, ING 310-0092504-52, IBAN : BE64 3100 0925 0452, SWIFT : BBRUBEBB

Old 01-28-2009, 04:37 PM

Bram,

>Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 17:49:23 +0100
>From: "Mertens, Bram" <mertensb@mazdaeur.com>
>
>Probably a bit late for you but perhaps useful as a reference for
>others/future occasions.
>
>If I'm not mistaken switching to another console should solve this,
>messages are by default logged to the first console.

Unfortunately, that's not the case. <alt-F2> start to log in, console logs. Ditto with *all* the others....

mark

Old 01-28-2009, 05:20 PM
George Magklaras

When you say flood, I assume this is continuous. What happens when you
try Ctrl+L to clear the screen? Does it get any better. Also, in my mind
(*maybe I am wrong in this*, but I remember logging in with no problems
in a similar situation), flooding the console with syslog messages
should not affect stdin in this case (the characters appear but it does
not mean they are in your stdin, the keyboard). Are you sure that's the
reason you can't login?

GM

m.roth2006@rcn.com wrote:

Bram,

Old 01-28-2009, 06:23 PM

Old 01-28-2009, 06:28 PM

George,

>Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 19:20:03 +0100
>From: George Magklaras <georgios@biotek.uio.no>
>
>When you say flood, I assume this is continuous. What

Yeah, bing-bing-bing. Had a runaway forking process, and the oem-killer was running....

> happens when you
>try Ctrl+L to clear the screen? Does it get any better.

Didn't try that.
> Also, in my mind
>(*maybe I am wrong in this*, but I remember logging in with no problems
>in a similar situation), flooding the console with syslog messages
>should not affect stdin in this case (the characters appear but it does
>not mean they are in your stdin, the keyboard). Are you sure that's the
>reason you can't login?

One additional factor is that it's a VM under ESXi. Don't see why that should make a difference, though - this is internal to the guest o/s. Fortunately, it was a VM we could just reboot.

mark