Old 01-26-2009, 11:44 AM
Karl-Olov Serrander

Default Problem with version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6

Hi !

Trying to run an old licensserver (said to be compiled on RHEL4) on RHEL5 i get:
./vendordaemon: relocation error: ./vendordaemon: symbol errno, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

Got the same message from Flexlm lmgrd 8.2a but upgrading that to 11.4.0.0 solved that but then the vendordaemon
started to complain (it was not started att all when lmgrd failed).

I am arguing with the vendor that he should recompile on RHEL5 with a more recent lmgrd,
but should't stuff complied on RHEL4 work on RHEL5 ?

I suspect that it is really compiled on something older, but how can i see that from the binary ?

Any hints ?

And starting on RHEL4 gives: Incorrectly built binary which accesses errno or h_errno directly. Needs to be fixed.
but it works on RHEL4.

Regards
--
Karl-Olov Serrander m11172.abc.se

Old 01-28-2009, 03:54 PM
"Mertens, Bram"

Mazda Motor Logistics Europe NV, Blaasveldstraat 162, B-2830 Willebroek
VAT BE 0406.024.281, RPR Mechelen, ING 310-0092504-52, IBAN : BE64 3100 0925 0452, SWIFT : BBRUBEBB

> Trying to run an old licensserver (said to be compiled on RHEL4) on
> RHEL5 i get:
> ./vendordaemon: relocation error: ./vendordaemon: symbol errno,
version
> GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
>
> Got the same message from Flexlm lmgrd 8.2a but upgrading that to
> 11.4.0.0 solved that but then the vendordaemon
> started to complain (it was not started att all when lmgrd failed).
>
> I am arguing with the vendor that he should recompile on RHEL5 with a
> more recent lmgrd,
> but should't stuff complied on RHEL4 work on RHEL5 ?
>
> I suspect that it is really compiled on something older, but how can i
> see that from the binary ?
>
> Any hints ?
>
> And starting on RHEL4 gives: Incorrectly built binary which accesses
> errno or h_errno directly. Needs to be fixed.
> but it works on RHEL4.
>
> Regards
> --
> Karl-Olov Serrander m11172.abc.se

The libc.so.6 file is part of glibc. RHEL4 comes with glibc 2.3 whereas
RHEL5 comes with glibc 2.5. So it makes sense that applications
compiled against glibc-2.3 will not run properly on RHEL5.

Regards

Bram

Old 01-28-2009, 07:30 PM
Karl-Olov Serrander

And starting on RHEL4 gives: Incorrectly built binary which accesses
errno or h_errno directly. Needs to be fixed.
but it works on RHEL4.

The libc.so.6 file is part of glibc. RHEL4 comes with glibc 2.3 whereas
RHEL5 comes with glibc 2.5. So it makes sense that applications
compiled against glibc-2.3 will not run properly on RHEL5.

Regards

Bram

Well it seems this vendor did not take "Incorrectly built binary" to his heart. If he had fixed that
it probably would have worked on RHEL5, because the application itself does.

The vendor just say that it is working on RHEL4 and has no plans to support RHEL5,
fortunately we are able to replace his app with something else.

Regards
--
Karl-Olov Serrander m11172.abc.se