FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Red Hat Linux

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-23-2009, 04:55 PM
Gary Stainburn
 
Default FC9 Linux gateways, VPN working, IP forwarding isn't

Hi folks.

I've given up on openswan because it won't work though my ADSL router.

I've now got a very simple ppp-over-ssh VPN working using the following script

/usr/sbin/pppd updetach noauth passive
pty "ssh $HOST -P -o Batchmode=yes /usr/sbin/pppd nodetach notty noauth"
$LocIP:$RemIP

I'm using 192.167.127.1 and .2 for the VPN

My local LAN is 10.6.0.0/16 and the remote is 10.1.0.0/16

The VPN works, and from each end I can ssh to the remote end using either it's
192. or 10. IP address.

On each gateway, and on the test hosts on each LAN I have set up the
appropriate routes. On each gateway I have enabled IP Forwarding by running

sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_forward=1

and made it permenant by editing /etc/sysctl.conf. I even rebooted to make
sure.

However, I cannot get anything to work except gateway to gateway. Anything
behind the gateways cannot get past their local gateway.

Anyone know what I've missed?
--
Gary Stainburn

This email does not contain private or confidential material as it
may be snooped on by interested government parties for unknown
and undisclosed purposes - Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act, 2000

--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
 
Old 01-23-2009, 04:55 PM
Gary Stainburn
 
Default FC9 Linux gateways, VPN working, IP forwarding isn't

Hi folks.

I've given up on openswan because it won't work though my ADSL router.

I've now got a very simple ppp-over-ssh VPN working using the following script

/usr/sbin/pppd updetach noauth passive
pty "ssh $HOST -P -o Batchmode=yes /usr/sbin/pppd nodetach notty noauth"
$LocIP:$RemIP

I'm using 192.167.127.1 and .2 for the VPN

My local LAN is 10.6.0.0/16 and the remote is 10.1.0.0/16

The VPN works, and from each end I can ssh to the remote end using either it's
192. or 10. IP address.

On each gateway, and on the test hosts on each LAN I have set up the
appropriate routes. On each gateway I have enabled IP Forwarding by running

sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_forward=1

and made it permenant by editing /etc/sysctl.conf. I even rebooted to make
sure.

However, I cannot get anything to work except gateway to gateway. Anything
behind the gateways cannot get past their local gateway.

Anyone know what I've missed?
--
Gary Stainburn

This email does not contain private or confidential material as it
may be snooped on by interested government parties for unknown
and undisclosed purposes - Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act, 2000

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
 
Old 01-24-2009, 09:06 AM
Giany
 
Default FC9 Linux gateways, VPN working, IP forwarding isn't

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 7:55 PM, Gary Stainburn <gary.stainburn@ringways.co.uk> wrote:

Hi folks.



I've given up on openswan because it won't work though my ADSL router.



I've now got a very simple ppp-over-ssh VPN working using the following script



/usr/sbin/pppd updetach noauth passive

*pty "ssh $HOST -P -o Batchmode=yes /usr/sbin/pppd nodetach notty noauth"

*$LocIP:$RemIP



I'm using 192.167.127.1 and .2 for the VPN



My local LAN is 10.6.0.0/16 and the remote is 10.1.0.0/16



The VPN works, and from each end I can ssh to the remote end using either it's

192. or 10. *IP address.



On each gateway, and on the test hosts on each LAN I have set up the

appropriate routes. On each gateway I have enabled IP *Forwarding by running



sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_forward=1



and made it permenant by editing /etc/sysctl.conf. I even rebooted to make

sure.



However, I cannot get anything to work except gateway to gateway. Anything

behind the gateways cannot get past their local gateway.



Anyone know what I've missed?

I guess its normal not to pass because the next gateways dont "know"* what 10.x/192.x ips are.
I think either you have to export those IPs to the next gateways either you enable nat

for each VPN, smth like iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE (fastest
way) where eth0 is your interface for internet.



--

Gary Stainburn



This email does not contain private or confidential material as it

may be snooped on by interested government parties for unknown

and undisclosed purposes - Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act, 2000



--

fedora-list mailing list

fedora-list@redhat.com

To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines



--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
 
Old 01-24-2009, 09:51 AM
Gary Stainburn
 
Default FC9 Linux gateways, VPN working, IP forwarding isn't

On Saturday 24 January 2009 10:06:01 Giany wrote:
> I guess its normal not to pass because the next gateways dont "know" what
> 10.x/192.x ips are.
> I think either you have to export those IPs to the next gateways either you
> enable nat
> for each VPN, smth like iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j
> MASQUERADE (fastest
> way) where eth0 is your interface for internet.

The routing isn't the problem.

Local gateway eth0 10.6.1.1 ppp0 192.168.127.2
Remote gateway eth0 10.1.1.6 ppp0 192.168.127.1

Local routes add -net 10.1.0.0/16 gw 192.168.127.1

traceroute from local gateway to 10.1.1.1 gets as far as 192.168.127.1 and
stops


--
Gary Stainburn

This email does not contain private or confidential material as it
may be snooped on by interested government parties for unknown
and undisclosed purposes - Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act, 2000

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
 
Old 01-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Giany
 
Default FC9 Linux gateways, VPN working, IP forwarding isn't

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 12:51 PM, Gary Stainburn <gary.stainburn@ringways.co.uk> wrote:

On Saturday 24 January 2009 10:06:01 Giany wrote:

> I guess its normal not to pass because the next gateways dont "know" *what

> 10.x/192.x ips are.

> I think either you have to export those IPs to the next gateways either you

> enable nat

> for each VPN, smth like iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j

> MASQUERADE (fastest

> way) where eth0 is your interface for internet.



The routing isn't the problem.



Local gateway * * * * * eth0 10.6.1.1 ppp0 192.168.127.2

Remote gateway *eth0 10.1.1.6 ppp0 192.168.127.1



Local routes add -net 10.1.0.0/16 gw 192.168.127.1



traceroute from local gateway to 10.1.1.1 gets as far as 192.168.127.1 and

stops



If you say ip_forward is enabled then either there is a routing problem
or some firewall issue.





--

Gary Stainburn



This email does not contain private or confidential material as it

may be snooped on by interested government parties for unknown

and undisclosed purposes - Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act, 2000



--

fedora-list mailing list

fedora-list@redhat.com

To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines



--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:35 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org