Old 01-23-2009, 01:42 PM
"Aaron Bliss"

Default lvm limitations on RedHat 4 AS

Hi all,
I'm familiar with managing logical volume groups and logical volumes on
RedHat boxes, however I've been unable to find out what the maximum size a
logical volume group and logical volume can be. Does anyone have any tech
specs or links on this? Thanks.

Aaron

Old 01-23-2009, 01:46 PM
"Aaron Bliss"

I found these figures; can anyone confirm?

For 2.4 based kernels, the maximum LV size is 2TB. For some older kernels,
however, the limit was 1TB due to signedness problems in the block layer.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 Update 5 has fixes to allow the full 2TB LVs.
Consult your distribution for more information in this regard.

. For 32-bit CPUs on 2.6 kernels, the maximum LV size is 16TB.

. For 64-bit CPUs on 2.6 kernels, the maximum LV size is 8EB. (Yes,
that is a very large number.)

Aaron

Old 01-23-2009, 02:01 PM
"De Vries, Timothy"

When I called into RedHat to get those numbers, those are what I was given (2.6).

Tim