Old 01-20-2009, 09:21 AM
Erling Ringen Elvsrud

Default Man command not working as a ordinary user

Hello,

For instance "man ls" works as usual as root, but when executed as an ordinary
user nothing appears exept "(END)" from the pager (less).
I have used rpm -V on the man and man-pages pacakges without finding
any changes and have also reinstalled both packages.

The /var directory was moved from the root filesystem to its own a
while ago, but I did not notice anything after. The files was moved
from the old /var to the new with the following command: "cd /var; tar
cpf - ./* | tar xvpf - -C /newvar/" so I think
all permissions and ownerships should be correct. /var was later moved
to /oldvar and /newvar to var.

I cannot think of any other actions potentially interfering with man.

Do you have any suggestions for where I can start looking for errors?

Thanks,
Erling

Old 01-21-2009, 07:31 AM
kimberly custodio

hi,

try to check this file inside user home dir:
# cd $HOME
# ls -la

# more .bash_profile

# Get the aliases and functions
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
******* . ~/.bashrc
fi

# User specific environment and startup programs

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin

export PATH
unset USERNAME

Old 01-21-2009, 09:50 AM
Erling Ringen Elvsrud

> 1/21/09, kimberly custodio <kim_custodio@yahoo.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
> try to check this file inside user home dir:
> # cd $HOME
> # ls -la
>
> # more .bash_profile

Thanks for your reply,

I have tested with a new user with .bash_profile directly from /etc/skel so
that should be ok.

Erling

Old 01-21-2009, 10:09 AM
Erling Ringen Elvsrud

On 1/20/09, Erling Ringen Elvsrud <erlingre@gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you have any suggestions for where I can start looking for errors?

I have corrected this error. It was simply wrong permissions on /tmp
that caused this. /tmp was moved to its own filesystem earlier, but
with wrong permissions on
the /tmp directory.

Erling

Old 01-21-2009, 10:15 AM
George Magklaras

Try to see if permissions are preserved. Sometimes, especially if you
use SELinux (do you?), permissions are not preserved. I would use star
for this types of archiving moves and then make sure that the SELinux
context is set appropriately( I had a similar problem with man pages
before and SELinux)

GM

George Magklaras BSc Hons MPhil
RHCE:805008309135525

Senior Computer Systems Engineer/UNIX-Linux Systems Administrator
EMBnet Technical Management Board
The Biotechnology Centre of Oslo,
University of Oslo
http://folk.uio.no/georgios