Old 01-14-2009, 01:50 PM
"Santosh Kumar"

Default How can I found which disk ( harddisk) is corrupted ?

Hi,

How can I find which disk ( harddisk) is corrupted if we have more than one
disk attache with the system?

Please help me out.

Thanks and regards,
Santosh Kumar

Old 01-14-2009, 01:55 PM
"Mridul Dutta"

Run vgscan command

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 9:50 AM, Santosh Kumar <tosantoshkumar@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How can I find which disk ( harddisk) is corrupted if we have more than
> one
> disk attache with the system?
>
> Please help me out.
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Santosh Kumar

Best Regards

Mridul Dutta

IBM India Pvt Ltd, Embassy Golf Links,
Bangalore.

Email:- mriddutt@in.ibm.com
Mobile: 9972811644

Old 01-14-2009, 02:08 PM
"Santosh Kumar"

I think, vgscan will work only if we have LVM running on the system. But I
don't have LVM on the system. Log msg will help me sometime but i don't know
what error it will display. Please suggest me any other way.

Thanks,
Santosh

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 8:25 PM, Mridul Dutta <i.mridul@gmail.com> wrote:

> Run vgscan command
>
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 9:50 AM, Santosh Kumar <tosantoshkumar@gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > How can I find which disk ( harddisk) is corrupted if we have more than
> > one
> > disk attache with the system?
> >
> > Please help me out.
> >
> > Thanks and regards,
> > Santosh Kumar
> > --

> Best Regards
>
> Mridul Dutta
>
> IBM India Pvt Ltd, Embassy Golf Links,
> Bangalore.
>
> Email:- mriddutt@in.ibm.com
> Mobile: 9972811644

To accomplish great things, we must dream as well as act.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:50 PM
"Marcos Aurelio Rodrigues"

Generally the log messages will show to you, hda, hdb, sda, sdb..

Some messages like ..I/O *error*, dev *hda*...

[]s
Marcos

Old 01-16-2009, 07:40 AM
George Magklaras

Depends on what you mean with corruption. A failed disk should give
read/write I/O errors. So:
grep /var/log/messages for I/O errors. Usually these are associated
with a device identifier (such as sda, hda, etc). Write down the device
identifier and do a:

dmesg | grep -1 [hda, sda or whatever the identifier disk is]

You should have the failed disk.

If what you call corruption is not a hardware issue but a filesystem
one, then again /var/log/messages should give you the filesystem and the
device id.

GM

George Magklaras BSc Hons MPhil
RHCE:805008309135525

Senior Computer Systems Engineer/UNIX-Linux Systems Administrator
EMBnet Technical Management Board
The Biotechnology Centre of Oslo,
University of Oslo
http://folk.uio.no/georgios