FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Red Hat Linux

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-13-2009, 06:15 PM
Ugo Bellavance
 
Default Traffic going to eth1 is goin

Hi,

I'm scratching my head on this one...

I've configured a server with 2 network interfaces, eth0 and eth1. eth0
= 192.168.2.211 and eth1 = 192.168.2.212. eth1 seemed to work properly,
but whenever I open a connection to 192.168.2.212, I see the traffic on
eth0.


Digging deeper led me to this finding. When there is an arp who-has
192.168.2.212, the arp reply contains the MAC address of eth0 instead of
eth1.


Both ports are connected to a Cisco Catalyst switch.

Any idea of how this could happen and the solution? The only cause that
I can think of is that at the beginning, I tried configuring bonding on
this server, so both interfaces seemed to have the same MAC address, but
I configured this bonded interface with only one IP address anyway,
and I think it was in another subnet.


Any idea welcome.

Thanks,

Ugo

--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
 
Old 01-13-2009, 06:18 PM
"Gabi C"
 
Default Traffic going to eth1 is goin

post ifconfig -a



On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 9:15 PM, Ugo Bellavance <ugob@lubik.ca> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm scratching my head on this one...
>
> I've configured a server with 2 network interfaces, eth0 and eth1. eth0 =
> 192.168.2.211 and eth1 = 192.168.2.212. eth1 seemed to work properly, but
> whenever I open a connection to 192.168.2.212, I see the traffic on eth0.
>
> Digging deeper led me to this finding. When there is an arp who-has
> 192.168.2.212, the arp reply contains the MAC address of eth0 instead of
> eth1.
>
> Both ports are connected to a Cisco Catalyst switch.
>
> Any idea of how this could happen and the solution? The only cause that I
> can think of is that at the beginning, I tried configuring bonding on this
> server, so both interfaces seemed to have the same MAC address, but I
> configured this bonded interface with only one IP address anyway, and I
> think it was in another subnet.
>
> Any idea welcome.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ugo
>
> --
> redhat-list mailing list
> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>
--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
 
Old 01-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Ugo Bellavance
 
Default Traffic going to eth1 is goin

Gabi C a écrit :

post ifconfig -a


eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:22:64:03:5E:16
inet addr:192.168.2.211 Bcast:192.168.2.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::222:64ff:fe03:5e16/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:11306 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:21831 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:1632548 (1.5 MiB) TX bytes:26883245 (25.6 MiB)
Interrupt:185 Memory:f8000000-f8012100

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:22:64:03:5E:52
inet addr:192.168.2.212 Bcast:192.168.2.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::222:64ff:fe03:5e52/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:384 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:32 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:28302 (27.6 KiB) TX bytes:2156 (2.1 KiB)
Interrupt:82 Memory:fa000000-fa012100

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:11245810 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:11245810 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:9875182219 (9.1 GiB) TX bytes:9875182219 (9.1 GiB)

sit0 Link encap:IPv6-in-IPv4
NOARP MTU:1480 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
 
Old 01-13-2009, 06:32 PM
"Gabi C"
 
Default Traffic going to eth1 is goin

and of course; 'netstat -rn' and 'ip rou sh'

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 9:20 PM, Ugo Bellavance <ugob@lubik.ca> wrote:

> Gabi C a écrit :
>
>> post ifconfig -a
>>
>
> eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:22:64:03:5E:16
> inet addr:192.168.2.211 Bcast:192.168.2.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
> inet6 addr: fe80::222:64ff:fe03:5e16/64 Scope:Link
> UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
> RX packets:11306 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> TX packets:21831 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
> collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
> RX bytes:1632548 (1.5 MiB) TX bytes:26883245 (25.6 MiB)
> Interrupt:185 Memory:f8000000-f8012100
>
> eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:22:64:03:5E:52
> inet addr:192.168.2.212 Bcast:192.168.2.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
> inet6 addr: fe80::222:64ff:fe03:5e52/64 Scope:Link
> UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
> RX packets:384 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> TX packets:32 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
> collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
> RX bytes:28302 (27.6 KiB) TX bytes:2156 (2.1 KiB)
> Interrupt:82 Memory:fa000000-fa012100
>
> lo Link encap:Local Loopback
> inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
> inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
> UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
> RX packets:11245810 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> TX packets:11245810 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
> collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
> RX bytes:9875182219 (9.1 GiB) TX bytes:9875182219 (9.1 GiB)
>
> sit0 Link encap:IPv6-in-IPv4
> NOARP MTU:1480 Metric:1
> RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
> collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
> RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
>
>
> --
> redhat-list mailing list
> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>
--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
 
Old 01-13-2009, 06:44 PM
"Gabi C"
 
Default Traffic going to eth1 is goin

by the way ..the mac you get at arp is 00:22:64:03:5E:16?




On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 9:20 PM, Ugo Bellavance <ugob@lubik.ca> wrote:

> Gabi C a écrit :
>
>> post ifconfig -a
>>
>
> eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:22:64:03:5E:16
> inet addr:192.168.2.211 Bcast:192.168.2.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
> inet6 addr: fe80::222:64ff:fe03:5e16/64 Scope:Link
> UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
> RX packets:11306 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> TX packets:21831 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
> collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
> RX bytes:1632548 (1.5 MiB) TX bytes:26883245 (25.6 MiB)
> Interrupt:185 Memory:f8000000-f8012100
>
> eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:22:64:03:5E:52
> inet addr:192.168.2.212 Bcast:192.168.2.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
> inet6 addr: fe80::222:64ff:fe03:5e52/64 Scope:Link
> UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
> RX packets:384 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> TX packets:32 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
> collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
> RX bytes:28302 (27.6 KiB) TX bytes:2156 (2.1 KiB)
> Interrupt:82 Memory:fa000000-fa012100
>
> lo Link encap:Local Loopback
> inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
> inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
> UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
> RX packets:11245810 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> TX packets:11245810 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
> collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
> RX bytes:9875182219 (9.1 GiB) TX bytes:9875182219 (9.1 GiB)
>
> sit0 Link encap:IPv6-in-IPv4
> NOARP MTU:1480 Metric:1
> RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
> collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
> RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
>
>
> --
> redhat-list mailing list
> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>
--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
 
Old 01-13-2009, 06:52 PM
"Rangi, Jai"
 
Default Traffic going to eth1 is goin

Did you assign 192.168.2.212 to eth0. Clear the ARP cache on your
switch/server. Then try again.

-Jai




-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-bounces@redhat.com
[mailto:redhat-list-bounces@redhat.com] On Behalf Of Ugo Bellavance
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 11:15 AM
To: redhat-list@redhat.com
Subject: Traffic going to eth1 is goin

Hi,

I'm scratching my head on this one...

I've configured a server with 2 network interfaces, eth0 and eth1. eth0

= 192.168.2.211 and eth1 = 192.168.2.212. eth1 seemed to work properly,

but whenever I open a connection to 192.168.2.212, I see the traffic on
eth0.

Digging deeper led me to this finding. When there is an arp who-has
192.168.2.212, the arp reply contains the MAC address of eth0 instead of

eth1.

Both ports are connected to a Cisco Catalyst switch.

Any idea of how this could happen and the solution? The only cause that

I can think of is that at the beginning, I tried configuring bonding on
this server, so both interfaces seemed to have the same MAC address, but

I configured this bonded interface with only one IP address anyway,
and I think it was in another subnet.

Any idea welcome.

Thanks,

Ugo

--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list

--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
 
Old 01-13-2009, 06:56 PM
Ugo Bellavance
 
Default Traffic going to eth1 is goin

Gabi C a écrit :

by the way ..the mac you get at arp is 00:22:64:03:5E:16?


Yes

--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
 
Old 01-13-2009, 06:58 PM
Ugo Bellavance
 
Default Traffic going to eth1 is goin

Gabi C a écrit :

and of course; 'netstat -rn' and 'ip rou sh'


[root@server ~]# netstat -rn
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt
Iface
192.168.2.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0
eth0
192.168.2.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0
eth1
169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0
eth1
0.0.0.0 192.168.2.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0
eth0


[root@server ~]# ip rou sh
192.168.2.0/24 dev eth0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.2.211
192.168.2.0/24 dev eth1 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.2.212
169.254.0.0/16 dev eth1 scope link
default via 192.168.2.1 dev eth0


--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
 
Old 01-15-2009, 12:49 PM
"Michael Simpson"
 
Default Traffic going to eth1 is goin

On 1/13/09, Ugo Bellavance <ugob@lubik.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm scratching my head on this one...
>
> I've configured a server with 2 network interfaces, eth0 and eth1. eth0 =
> 192.168.2.211 and eth1 = 192.168.2.212. eth1 seemed to work properly, but
> whenever I open a connection to 192.168.2.212, I see the traffic on eth0.

you can't use 2 interfaces on the same subnet without bonding
you used to be able to years ago but it doesn't work now
note your default route

mike

--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
 
Old 01-15-2009, 01:29 PM
"Broekman, Maarten"
 
Default Traffic going to eth1 is goin

> -----Original Message-----
> From: redhat-list-bounces@redhat.com
> [mailto:redhat-list-bounces@redhat.com] On Behalf Of Michael Simpson
> Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2009 8:49 AM
> To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
> Subject: Re: Traffic going to eth1 is goin
>
> On 1/13/09, Ugo Bellavance <ugob@lubik.ca> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm scratching my head on this one...
> >
> > I've configured a server with 2 network interfaces, eth0
> and eth1. eth0 =
> > 192.168.2.211 and eth1 = 192.168.2.212. eth1 seemed to
> work properly, but
> > whenever I open a connection to 192.168.2.212, I see the
> traffic on eth0.
>
> you can't use 2 interfaces on the same subnet without bonding
> you used to be able to years ago but it doesn't work now
> note your default route
>
> mike

That's not strictly true. You can use as many interfaces on the same
subnet as you want and traffic to the IP addresses on those interfaces
will come in initially on that interface, but then the local routing
rules will force the traffic out the default route, which would appear
to be eth0. You can change that behavior by setting up iptables rules
that force the traffic over different interfaces depending on the source
/ destination of the traffic.

Maarten Broekman
Email: maarten.broekman@fmr.com




--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:00 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org