Old 01-13-2009, 02:34 PM

Default VMware and ntp

Folks,

I remember, I think it was a few weeks ago, that there was some discussion of an issue between VMware and ntp on the guest o/s's, but I don't remember what it was. Could someone enlighten me? We're talking about re-enabling ntpd on our Linux VMs.

mark

Old 01-15-2009, 10:39 PM
"Marcos Aurelio Rodrigues"

Hi Mark,

Try list's history:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/redhat-list/

I think, the discussion you want was 2 months ago.

[]s
Marcos

Old 01-16-2009, 01:36 AM
mark

Hey, Marcos,

Marcos Aurelio Rodrigues wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Try list's history:
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/redhat-list/
>
> I think, the discussion you want was 2 months ago.

Thanks, but while googling at work, I found it - the problem of losing or
gaining time while running under VMware. Actually, what I also found was in
VMware's knowledgebase, which has a page for "Best timekeeping practices for
Linux", and says, in so many words, that they recommend using NTP and *not*
VMware's time synchronization. They do mention two kernel parms that need to be
added to the grub.conf, and that you need to add, as the first line in the
ntp.conf,
tinker panic 0
I think that's in the right order - I'm at home, and don't have the bookmarks.

But I'd recommend looking up that page, if anyone needs to know.

mark

Old 01-21-2009, 06:13 PM
"Ben Kevan"

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 18:36:53 -0800, mark <m.roth2006@rcn.com> wrote:

[...]

For the people who care:

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vmware_timekeeping.pdf

It is a very good read for Linux and VMware Full Virtualization

--
I say never be complete. I say stop being perfect. I say let's evolve. Let the chips fall where they may. -Fight Club