-   -   zLinux: RHEL on IBM mainframe (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/225084-zlinux-rhel-ibm-mainframe.html)

"Kenneth Holter" 01-09-2009 11:14 AM

zLinux: RHEL on IBM mainframe

Hi.

Does anyone have experience with running RHEL on IBM mainframe? In
particular, I'm curious about what implications this has for the linux
system administration part of it, such as these:

- Whick package repositories are available?
- Are there any EPEL-like repos for zLinux?
- Can we use our Red Hat Satellite Server to manage packages for zLinux?
- Are there many tweak and issues I need to be aware of?

We currently have quite a few RHEL servers based on x86 hardware, so I'm
basically interested in what kind of changes/adjustments I must implement
to add IBM mainframe to our list of hardware platforms. Please let me know
if there are other mailing lists that are more suitable for this topic.

Regards,
Kenneth Holter

Shawn Wells 01-09-2009 03:03 PM

Kenneth Holter wrote:

Hi.

Does anyone have experience with running RHEL on IBM mainframe? In
particular, I'm curious about what implications this has for the linux
system administration part of it, such as these:

Hi Kenneth,

I'm the lead solutions architect for Linux on System z at Red Hat --
feel free to ping me offline.

- Whick package repositories are available?

Pretty much all of them. The largest difference is that there is not
GFS or RHCS at this time.

- Are there any EPEL-like repos for zLinux?

Yes.

- Can we use our Red Hat Satellite Server to manage packages for zLinux?

Yes. The largest catch is when you do provisioning -- you'll need to
assign the virtual machine resources through z/VM, then upon your first
IPL you can connect into satellite.

- Are there many tweak and issues I need to be aware of?

Slight command differences, fdasd versus fdisk kind of things. Memory
management is also completely different -- a 64mb allocation of memory
suites many peoples needs.

We currently have quite a few RHEL servers based on x86 hardware, so I'm
basically interested in what kind of changes/adjustments I must implement
to add IBM mainframe to our list of hardware platforms. Please let me know
if there are other mailing lists that are more suitable for this topic.

If you have an option, run the RHN Satellite off the Mainframe. When
it's on the Z it can utilize hipersockets -- a network stack in memory
-- for high throughput. 15-30 second provisioning can be achieved. It
will still manage distributed boxes in the same way.

If looking at this from an economical standpoint, your consolidation
ratio makes or breaks the business case. RHEL for System z is offered
on a per-IFL subscription basis with unlimited virtual machines. At one
customer they run ~55 virtual machines per IFL on a z9, but do note
they're low-end web servers, DNS, ftp, etc.

You'll need to decide how you want to virtualize your system -- z/VM or
LPAR. LPAR+RHEL is common criteria'd, sponsored by IBM. I've found it
easier to train a Linux staff member on z/VM than a z/VM person on Linux
-- but that's my own perception, talent of your team matters most. IBM
has a few training classes out there, but the one's I've seen are mostly
install-lab type activities (versus detailed storage management, memory
management, etc).

Read into CMM1 -- it may yield you significant performance boosts.
http://www.vm.ibm.com/perf/reports/zvm/html/530cmm.htm

For a manual, you'll find the RHEL5 RedBook handy.
linuxvm.org/Present/misc/virt-cookbook-RH5.pdf

Linuxvm.org is a great resource for presentations,
http://linuxvm.org/Present/index.html

-Shawn

01-09-2009 05:32 PM

zLinux: RHEL on IBM mainframe

Please ignore this post - I'm looking to see if I'm still getting the bounce from the former subscriber to this list in India....

mark

Erling Ringen Elvsrud 01-13-2009 08:35 AM

zLinux: RHEL on IBM mainframe

On 1/9/09, Shawn Wells <swells@redhat.com> wrote:
[...]
> If looking at this from an economical standpoint, your consolidation ratio
> makes or breaks the business case. RHEL for System z is offered on a
> per-IFL subscription basis with unlimited virtual machines. At one customer
> they run ~55 virtual machines per IFL on a z9, but do note they're low-end
> web servers, DNS, ftp, etc.

I'm very interested in any input about running memory intensive
applications like IBM Websphere under z/Linux. What kind of workloads
/ servers do you think
works best under z/VM and also realizes most economical benefits?

For instance if I wanted to run 10 lightly loaded zLinux instances
with WAS on z/VM, how much memory is required for each instance? How
will that compare to 10 instances on vmware with similar workloads if
we only care about money?

Thanks,

Erling

"Kenneth Holter" 01-15-2009 12:04 PM

zLinux: RHEL on IBM mainframe

Thank you for your useful reply. I'm pleased to hear that we can reuse our
existing infrastructure/solutions such as Satellite server and EPEL-like
repository.

As of now we're merely on the planning stage of the process, so details on
consolidation ratio and so forth have not been finalized. For the system
administration (linux) part of it I need to prepare our infrastructure for
testing such a solution, and read up on the technology itself. Thanks to
your reply I have a better understanding of what needs to be done, and I'm
sure I'll be back with more questions later on. In the mean time I'll read
up on the literature you linked to.

Regards,
Kenneth

Kenneth Holter 02-08-2009 11:56 AM

zLinux: RHEL on IBM mainframe

I'm interested in how zLinux (i.e. Linux on z/VM) compares to, say, Vmware.
Do you know of any more or less objective documents not produced/sponsored
by IBM?