Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Red Hat Linux (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/)
-   -   Can't Boot or Rescue (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/224683-cant-boot-rescue.html)

"Hannibal S. Jackson" 01-08-2009 03:49 PM

Can't Boot or Rescue
 
Got a linux server, a sysadmin accidentally pulled the power to the server thinking it went elsewhere. Server and RAID crashed hard, now server will not come back up.*Powering up server dies and it complains*about label = / not being found and that the kernel has panicked - not syncing - trying to kill INIT and it dies. Tried to boot of installation CD into rescue mode, claims there are no linux partitions available; however, if we let it go through the beginning phase of the install, it picks up the disks and sees the existing partitions. Because it doesn't find the partition it won't mount /mnt/sysimage or whatever it's called, therefore, I can't run FDISK -L. Any ideas on how to recover the partition and bring the machine back up so I can run an FSCK on the RAID b/c I'm sure those disks are not in a great state right now either. Thanks.



--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list

Redhatter 01-08-2009 05:02 PM

Can't Boot or Rescue
 
Hannibal S. Jackson wrote:

Got a linux server, a sysadmin accidentally pulled the power to the server thinking it went elsewhere. Server and RAID crashed hard, now server will not come back up. Powering up server dies and it complains about label = / not being found and that the kernel has panicked - not syncing - trying to kill INIT and it dies. Tried to boot of installation CD into rescue mode, claims there are no linux partitions available; however, if we let it go through the beginning phase of the install, it picks up the disks and sees the existing partitions. Because it doesn't find the partition it won't mount /mnt/sysimage or whatever it's called, therefore, I can't run FDISK -L. Any ideas on how to recover the partition and bring the machine back up so I can run an FSCK on the RAID b/c I'm sure those disks are not in a great state right now either. Thanks.

That's some weird kind of RAID there ... or do you have a RAID 0
(striping)? Hardware RAID or software RAID?


If you say "those disks are not in a great state right now", do you mean
that the hardware is probably defect?


Pulling the plug that should not have _that_ effect.






--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list

Dave Martini 01-08-2009 05:13 PM

Can't Boot or Rescue
 
Have you tried booting in emergency mode?
At the grub screen hit the space bar to intercept the booting and edit
the kernel line at the end type in the word emergency.


Dave.

Redhatter wrote:

Hannibal S. Jackson wrote:
Got a linux server, a sysadmin accidentally pulled the power to the
server thinking it went elsewhere. Server and RAID crashed hard, now
server will not come back up. Powering up server dies and it complains
about label = / not being found and that the kernel has panicked - not
syncing - trying to kill INIT and it dies. Tried to boot of
installation CD into rescue mode, claims there are no linux partitions
available; however, if we let it go through the beginning phase of the
install, it picks up the disks and sees the existing partitions.
Because it doesn't find the partition it won't mount /mnt/sysimage or
whatever it's called, therefore, I can't run FDISK -L. Any ideas on
how to recover the partition and bring the machine back up so I can
run an FSCK on the RAID b/c I'm sure those disks are not in a great
state right now either. Thanks.

That's some weird kind of RAID there ... or do you have a RAID 0
(striping)? Hardware RAID or software RAID?


If you say "those disks are not in a great state right now", do you mean
that the hardware is probably defect?


Pulling the plug that should not have _that_ effect.








--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list

"krishna kilari" 01-08-2009 05:46 PM

Can't Boot or Rescue
 
Hi all,
If it is HP Blade or in general , Just try to replace the ctrlr or ctrlr
cache . I guess it will be ok.

Have a great time.

Regards,
Krishna

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Hannibal S. Jackson <
hannibaljackson@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Got a linux server, a sysadmin accidentally pulled the power to the server
> thinking it went elsewhere. Server and RAID crashed hard, now server will
> not come back up. Powering up server dies and it complains about label = /
> not being found and that the kernel has panicked - not syncing - trying to
> kill INIT and it dies. Tried to boot of installation CD into rescue mode,
> claims there are no linux partitions available; however, if we let it go
> through the beginning phase of the install, it picks up the disks and sees
> the existing partitions. Because it doesn't find the partition it won't
> mount /mnt/sysimage or whatever it's called, therefore, I can't run FDISK
> -L. Any ideas on how to recover the partition and bring the machine back up
> so I can run an FSCK on the RAID b/c I'm sure those disks are not in a great
> state right now either. Thanks.
>
>
>
> --
> redhat-list mailing list
> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subjectunsubscribe
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>
--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:55 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.