-   -   use of quad core computers (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/224600-use-quad-core-computers.html)

Margaret Doll 01-08-2009 01:06 PM

use of quad core computers

How does the RedHat operating system make use of quad core computers?

I believe that MPI does not come with RedHat. If my investigators
wanted to run/test parallel jobs on the quad core computer, would I
have to install something like Rocks with RedHat?

rydzu 01-08-2009 02:02 PM

use of quad core computers

You can use lam ( is on Redhat 4 ) or lam,openmpi ( RedHat 5), as far as
I know quad core cpu works fine since RH 4.6

Radek.

George Magklaras 01-15-2009 03:02 PM

use of quad core computers

Rocks is a good distro, based on the redhat distro, although a separate
one. The RHEL 5 OS is OK with quad core procs. How does it make use of
them depends on the problem. If your problem is trivially parallel (its
data set can be broken down into discrete chuncks), then you can run
each chunk in a processor making use of CPU affinity (man taskset).

If your problem requires real parallelization, then yes, you need to
install things like MPI. As far as I know, you are right. MPI does not
come with RHEL, but you can easily download and compile it. We are using
this one with RHEL 4, 5 and Fedora boxes:

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpich2/downloads/index.php?s=downloads

So, your investigators need to tell you a little bit more about the task
at hand. The beauty of platforms like ROCKS is that they have all these
things pre-setup for you. The bad thing is that you might need to
install from scratch overwriting RHEL, if virtualization won't do the
trick in your box(es).

George Magklaras BSc Hons MPhil
RHCE:805008309135525

Senior Computer Systems Engineer/UNIX-Linux Systems Administrator
EMBnet Technical Management Board
The Biotechnology Centre of Oslo,
University of Oslo
http://folk.uio.no/georgios