-   -   backups (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/223053-backups.html)

01-05-2009 09:58 PM

backups

---- Original message ----
>Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 09:11:20 +1100
>From: Cameron Simpson <cs@zip.com.au>
>
>On 05Jan2009 16:42, m.roth2006@rcn.com <m.roth2006@rcn.com> wrote:
>| Ok, I've *just* become aware of a new requirement, and that would seem
>| to preclude, say, Bacula. This is that I *cannot* have a backup initiated
>| from the repository server - it *must* be initiated client side. So,
>| what am I looking at, amanda, or am I back to say, rsync and/or scp?
>
>What if the client prods the repository server, which then starts a
>backup?

Not sure (from his response) if that's really acceptable. Heh - I think I found my next F/OSS project....

mark

"john maclean" 01-05-2009 10:55 PM

backups

2009/1/5 <m.roth2006@rcn.com>:
> [...]
and read the archives. If you are planning the back up strategy them
plan it well. If if it's a legacy system them read up!!!!

Man, bacula is a beast. Took me some real time to get the jargon but
it /works/ and you can more or less leave it alone to do its job.

--
John Maclean
07739 171 531

Timezone: GMT

Michael Terry 04-19-2011 02:33 PM

Backups

Hello! I'm doing a bit of research for my proposal for Ubuntu Desktop
to install the GNOME-based Déjà Dup backup tool by default. (btw,
please cc: me)

I get the sense that command line backup methods are thick on the
ground. Is there a backup tool that the Ubuntu Server project
recommends?

Is the program duplicity [1] (upon which Déjà Dup is based) well
regarded in the server community? I'm curious if there is any mindshare
overlap at all.

[1] http://duplicity.nongnu.org/

--
mterry

James Gray 04-20-2011 03:03 AM

Backups

On 20/04/2011, at 12:33 AM, Michael Terry wrote:

> Hello! I'm doing a bit of research for my proposal for Ubuntu Desktop
> to install the GNOME-based Déjà Dup backup tool by default. (btw,
> please cc: me)
>
> I get the sense that command line backup methods are thick on the
> ground. Is there a backup tool that the Ubuntu Server project
> recommends?
>
> Is the program duplicity [1] (upon which Déjà Dup is based) well
> regarded in the server community? I'm curious if there is any mindshare
> overlap at all.
>
> [1] http://duplicity.nongnu.org/

I've always been a big "Bacula" fan. There's a *really* good Webmin module for it and if you absolutely must have a dedicated GUI try "bat" (Qt-based Bacula front end). I've been using Bacula for quite a few years in both professional and personal duties using various backup media (DVD, HDD, Tape - including autoloaders) to/from multiple systems and never had any problems. Usual disclaimers apply and YYMV ;)

Good luck,

James--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com