Old 04-20-2011, 02:32 PM
Mark Foster

Default Backups

On 04/20/2011 06:28 AM, Soren Hansen wrote:
> My only gripe with Duplicity is that it doesn't detect hard linked
> files, but I hardly ever use hard links anyway. It's also worth noting
> that even though duplicity is one of the very, very few backup tools
> that *says* it doesn't support hard links, it's far from the only one
> that doesn't actually support it. Many other backup tools are simply
> blissfully unaware of this shortcoming in them.

Since nobody has mentioned it I'll give a plug for Rsnapshot. It works
well for us backing up hundreds of Linux systems. It supports hardlinks
and even relies on them you might say...
"Using rsync and hard links, it is possible to keep multiple, full
backups instantly available. The disk space required is just a little
more than the space of one full backup, plus incrementals."
http://www.rsnapshot.org/

--
Mark D. Foster <mark@foster.cc>
http://mark.foster.cc/

Old 04-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Soren Hansen

2011/4/20 Mark Foster <mark@foster.cc>:
> Since nobody has mentioned it I'll give a plug for Rsnapshot. It works
> well for us backing up hundreds of Linux systems. It supports hardlinks
> and even relies on them you might say...

It relies on hard links to minimise its own storage requirements.
However, hard link support (in the "two files that are hard links to
the same inode will only be backed up once" sense) is disabled by
default. See the "rsync_short_args" section in rsnapshot's man page.

--
Soren Hansen * * * *| http://linux2go.dk/
Ubuntu Developer * *| http://www.ubuntu.com/

Old 04-21-2011, 10:47 AM
Nicolas Barcet

On 04/19/2011 04:33 PM, Michael Terry wrote:
> Hello! I'm doing a bit of research for my proposal for Ubuntu Desktop
> to install the GNOME-based Déjà Dup backup tool by default. (btw,
> please cc: me)
>
> I get the sense that command line backup methods are thick on the
> ground. Is there a backup tool that the Ubuntu Server project
> recommends?
>
> Is the program duplicity [1] (upon which Déjà Dup is based) well
> regarded in the server community? I'm curious if there is any mindshare
> overlap at all.
>
> [1] http://duplicity.nongnu.org/

If I am not mistaking, Bacula is the only backup tool available in main
at the moment, hence this could be considered the recommended backup
tool at the moment.

Nick

Old 04-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Chuck Short

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 12:47:53 +0200
Nicolas Barcet <nick.barcet@canonical.com> wrote:

> On 04/19/2011 04:33 PM, Michael Terry wrote:
> > Hello! I'm doing a bit of research for my proposal for Ubuntu
> > Desktop to install the GNOME-based Déjà Dup backup tool by
> > default. (btw, please cc: me)
> >
> > I get the sense that command line backup methods are thick on the
> > ground. Is there a backup tool that the Ubuntu Server project
> > recommends?
> >
> > Is the program duplicity [1] (upon which Déjà Dup is based) well
> > regarded in the server community? I'm curious if there is any
> > mindshare overlap at all.
> >
> > [1] http://duplicity.nongnu.org/
>
> If I am not mistaking, Bacula is the only backup tool available in
> main at the moment, hence this could be considered the recommended
> backup tool at the moment.
>
> Nick

Actually there is a both backuppc and bacula in main. But we recommend
bacula to our users.

chuck