Old 01-05-2009, 07:01 PM

Default system logging

Another question: we're looking at both syslog-ng and rsyslog. Comments on the relative merits?

Thanks in advance.

mark

Old 01-05-2009, 07:04 PM
Ray Van Dolson

On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 12:01:22PM -0800, m.roth2006@rcn.com wrote:
> Another question: we're looking at both syslog-ng and rsyslog.
> Comments on the relative merits?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> mark

I really like syslog-ng, but I think I will give rsyslog a try for the
next project since it's been chosen as the "official" replacment for
syslog by RH/Fedora.

I'm sure you can find some archive discussions of their reasons for
it...

Ray

Old 01-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Chaim Rieger

m.roth2006@rcn.com wrote:

Another question: we're looking at both syslog-ng and rsyslog. Comments on the relative merits?

Thanks in advance.

mark

syslog-ng is smarter.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:15 PM

>> Another question: we're looking at both syslog-ng and rsyslog. Comments on the relative merits?
>>
>syslog-ng is smarter.

In what way(s)?

Side note - I was surprised at how fast I'm getting replies... then I realized I wasn't asking for a solution, I was asking for opinions.... <G>

mark