Old 01-01-2009, 08:26 PM
mark

Default VMware install *arg!*

So I'm trying to install. The install script is fine. Then it gets to the point
where it offers to run vmware-config. Fine. It wants kernel headers. I wind up
having to install the entire kernel source.

And VMware complains it can't find version.h, and tells me that I might want to
recompile my kernel.

I DO NOT WANT TO COMPILE MY FRIGGIN" KERNEL. Anyone know if there's *any* way
around this?

mark

Old 01-01-2009, 09:06 PM
"Joshua Gimer"

On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 2:26 PM, mark <m.roth2006@rcn.com> wrote:
> So I'm trying to install. The install script is fine. Then it gets to the point
> where it offers to run vmware-config. Fine. It wants kernel headers. I wind up
> having to install the entire kernel source.
>
> And VMware complains it can't find version.h, and tells me that I might want to
> recompile my kernel.
>
> I DO NOT WANT TO COMPILE MY FRIGGIN" KERNEL. Anyone know if there's *any* way
> around this?
>
> mark

How are you installing the kernel sources? What is the output of 'rpm
-qa | grep -i kernel' ?

--
Thx
Joshua Gimer

Old 01-01-2009, 09:15 PM
mark

Joshua Gimer wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 2:26 PM, mark <m.roth2006@rcn.com> wrote:
>> So I'm trying to install. The install script is fine. Then it gets to the point
>> where it offers to run vmware-config. Fine. It wants kernel headers. I wind up
>> having to install the entire kernel source.
>>
>> And VMware complains it can't find version.h, and tells me that I might want to
>> recompile my kernel.
>>
>> I DO NOT WANT TO COMPILE MY FRIGGIN" KERNEL. Anyone know if there's *any* way
>> around this?
>>
> How are you installing the kernel sources? What is the output of 'rpm
> -qa | grep -i kernel' ?

kernel-source-2.6.22.5-31
linux-kernel-headers-2.6.22-19
nfs-kernel-server-1.1.0-8
kernel-default-2.6.22.5-31
kernel-syms-2.6.22.5-31

And I give it the path to the source (not sure why I have that other version of
the headers). It still complains it can't find include/linux/version.h

mark

Old 01-01-2009, 10:05 PM
"Joshua Gimer"

Try:

yum install kernel-devel
vmware-config

Josh

On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 3:15 PM, mark <m.roth2006@rcn.com> wrote:
> Joshua Gimer wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 2:26 PM, mark <m.roth2006@rcn.com> wrote:
>>> So I'm trying to install. The install script is fine. Then it gets to the point
>>> where it offers to run vmware-config. Fine. It wants kernel headers. I wind up
>>> having to install the entire kernel source.
>>>
>>> And VMware complains it can't find version.h, and tells me that I might want to
>>> recompile my kernel.
>>>
>>> I DO NOT WANT TO COMPILE MY FRIGGIN" KERNEL. Anyone know if there's *any* way
>>> around this?
>>>
>> How are you installing the kernel sources? What is the output of 'rpm
>> -qa | grep -i kernel' ?
>>
> kernel-source-2.6.22.5-31
> linux-kernel-headers-2.6.22-19
> nfs-kernel-server-1.1.0-8
> kernel-default-2.6.22.5-31
> kernel-syms-2.6.22.5-31
>
> And I give it the path to the source (not sure why I have that other version of
> the headers). It still complains it can't find include/linux/version.h
>
> mark

Thx
Joshua Gimer

Old 01-01-2009, 10:19 PM
mark

Joshua Gimer wrote:
> Try:
>
> yum install kernel-devel
> vmware-config

Ok, let me, in the interest of full disclosure, say that my workstation is
running openSuSE. The idea on installing vmware was a) to get some knowledge of
it, and b) to look at going up to CentOS 5.

Anyway, with much googling, and suggestions from one or two folks, this is what
I've done so far:
installed kernel-source (openSuSE doesn't have a separate kernel-headers).
I had to do a make .../version.h
Then I tried editing it, to add
#define UTS_RELEASE <kernel#>
Then I read vmware-config.pl, and see that if it's a kernel > 2.6.18, which
mine is, it's looking for utsrelease.h
Fine. I created that, and it *still* doesn't like it. At this point, I'm doing
something I hate, which is debugging code that supposed to be perfect from a
package; in this case vmware-config.pl. I'm working on a test.pl that will
*tell* me what it is looking at, and what it finds, so I can see *why* it
doesn't like it.

mark "I've had fun. This isn't it."

Old 01-01-2009, 10:25 PM
"Joshua Gimer"

And you are sure that it is not already on the system somewhere? What about:

find / -name version.h

or

locate version.h

Josh

On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 4:19 PM, mark <m.roth2006@rcn.com> wrote:
> Joshua Gimer wrote:
>> Try:
>>
>> yum install kernel-devel
>> vmware-config
>
> Ok, let me, in the interest of full disclosure, say that my workstation is
> running openSuSE. The idea on installing vmware was a) to get some knowledge of
> it, and b) to look at going up to CentOS 5.
>
> Anyway, with much googling, and suggestions from one or two folks, this is what
> I've done so far:
> installed kernel-source (openSuSE doesn't have a separate kernel-headers).
> I had to do a make .../version.h
> Then I tried editing it, to add
> #define UTS_RELEASE <kernel#>
> Then I read vmware-config.pl, and see that if it's a kernel > 2.6.18, which
> mine is, it's looking for utsrelease.h
> Fine. I created that, and it *still* doesn't like it. At this point, I'm doing
> something I hate, which is debugging code that supposed to be perfect from a
> package; in this case vmware-config.pl. I'm working on a test.pl that will
> *tell* me what it is looking at, and what it finds, so I can see *why* it
> doesn't like it.
>
> mark "I've had fun. This isn't it."

Thx
Joshua Gimer

Old 01-01-2009, 10:30 PM
"Joshua Gimer"

Might also try the the instructions at:

http://en.opensuse.org/Setting_up_VMware_on_SUSE_Linux

and

http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/15963.html

--
Thx
Joshua Gimer

Old 01-01-2009, 10:47 PM
mark

Joshua Gimer wrote:
> And you are sure that it is not already on the system somewhere? What about:
>
> find / -name version.h

I'm sorry, you misunderstood me. I did make ... version.h, and version.h was
created. HOWEVER, apparently after kernel 2.6.18, they moved the UTS_RELEASE to
its own file, utsrelease.h

I just tried to make it, and it wants me to go through the *whole* kernel
config. I've tried creating a plain file by that name, whose contents are

>> #define UTS_RELEASE <mykernel#>

But it doesn't seem to like that.

mark