-   -   ESX 2.5.3 hanged while booting up at "VM Kernel" (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/218308-esx-2-5-3-hanged-while-booting-up-vm-kernel.html)

"sunhux G" 12-26-2008 01:12 PM

ESX 2.5.3 hanged while booting up at "VM Kernel"

Our VMWare server ESX 2.5.3 self-crashed & failed to boot up.
It stopped at the point "VM Kernel ..." while booting up

Is this a hardware or ESX OS fault?

If OS fault, is there any way to copy over a good kernel or
boot up from single user to recover from it?

We don't have any backup of the ESX, only the Wintel clients
(ie the VMs are the only ones with backup)

I was told in the past we just need to reinstall ESX but now
we can't even find the old ESX 2.5.3 media (just shifted office/
datacentre). Can we use the ESX 3.5.3 media (but was told
we don't have the licence)

"Ben Kevan" 12-26-2008 02:14 PM

ESX 2.5.3 hanged while booting up at "VM Kernel"

Our VMWare server ESX 2.5.3 self-crashed & failed to boot up.
It stopped at the point "VM Kernel ..." while booting up

Is this a hardware or ESX OS fault?

If OS fault, is there any way to copy over a good kernel or
boot up from single user to recover from it?

We don't have any backup of the ESX, only the Wintel clients
(ie the VMs are the only ones with backup)

I was told in the past we just need to reinstall ESX but now
we can't even find the old ESX 2.5.3 media (just shifted office/
datacentre). Can we use the ESX 3.5.3 media (but was told
we don't have the licence)

http://www.vmware.com/download/esx/

I would download vmwre 2.5.5 and install overtop (without formating vmfs volumes).

Sounds unlikely to be a hardware fault.

--
Ben Kevan
I say never be complete. I say stop being perfect. I say let's evolve. Let the chips fall where they may. - Fight Club

ubergoonz 12-26-2008 05:34 PM

ESX 2.5.3 hanged while booting up at "VM Kernel"

it can sometime takes very long while to load up vmkernel. probably
might be good to look into what modules it is trying to load.

On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 11:14 PM, Ben Kevan <ben.kevan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 06:12:43 -0800, sunhux G <sunhux@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Our VMWare server ESX 2.5.3 self-crashed & failed to boot up.
>> It stopped at the point "VM Kernel ..." while booting up
>>
>> Is this a hardware or ESX OS fault?
>>
>> If OS fault, is there any way to copy over a good kernel or
>> boot up from single user to recover from it?
>>
>> We don't have any backup of the ESX, only the Wintel clients
>> (ie the VMs are the only ones with backup)
>>
>> I was told in the past we just need to reinstall ESX but now
>> we can't even find the old ESX 2.5.3 media (just shifted office/
>> datacentre). Can we use the ESX 3.5.3 media (but was told
>> we don't have the licence)
>
> http://www.vmware.com/download/esx/
>
> I would download vmwre 2.5.5 and install overtop (without formating vmfs
> volumes).
> Sounds unlikely to be a hardware fault.
> --
> Ben Kevan
> I say never be complete. I say stop being perfect. I say let's evolve.
> Let the chips fall where they may. - Fight Club

Best Regards,
Leslie Joshua Wang

"The good thing about standard, there are so many of them to chose from ..."

availability, performance and cost - pick 2

"Northrup, Wilson" 12-26-2008 07:05 PM

ESX 2.5.3 hanged while booting up at "VM Kernel"

ESX 2.5.3 is quite stable. I've been running that since it was released
and nave no complaints.

Try running a linux live CD and see if you can use the hardware
correctly to determine if you have a hardware problem or not. Two that
come to mind are grml.org or sysresccd.org

As far as reinstalling something, if you feel you must, you can
reinstall the 2.5.3 "patch" over top itself rather than trying to jump
versions and exposing yourself to any changes.

Good luck.
wilson

> Our VMWare server ESX 2.5.3 self-crashed & failed to boot up.
> It stopped at the point "VM Kernel ..." while booting up
>
> Is this a hardware or ESX OS fault?
>
> If OS fault, is there any way to copy over a good kernel or
> boot up from single user to recover from it?
>
> We don't have any backup of the ESX, only the Wintel clients
> (ie the VMs are the only ones with backup)
>
> I was told in the past we just need to reinstall ESX but now
> we can't even find the old ESX 2.5.3 media (just shifted office/
> datacentre). Can we use the ESX 3.5.3 media (but was told
> we don't have the licence)

http://www.vmware.com/download/esx/

I would download vmwre 2.5.5 and install overtop (without formating vmfs
volumes).

Sounds unlikely to be a hardware fault.

--
Ben Kevan
I say never be complete. I say stop being perfect. I say let's evolve.
Let the chips fall where they may. - Fight Club

New Jersey, USA 08889), and/or its affiliates (which may be known
outside the United States as Merck Frosst, Merck Sharp & Dohme or
MSD and in Japan, as Banyu - direct contact information for affiliates is
available at http://www.merck.com/contact/contacts.html) that may be
confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally privileged. It is
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named on this
message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and
then delete it from your system.