Old 12-24-2008, 05:33 PM
mark

Default Kernel update for RHEL 5

Ben Kevan wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 09:17:52 -0800, Bledsoe, Howard W CIV CNRNW, N632WI
> <howard.bledsoe@navy.mil> wrote:
>>
>> How can I update the kernel for my RHEL 5 systems? I am not
>> permitted to connect them to the Internet, but may download files and
>> burn them to CD. Since I will not be doing development work, should I
>> download all 14 or 15 files?
>>
>> Is this procedure documented somewhere? Can anyone recommend a
>> book?
>> ------------------
>> IT Functionary, Navy Region Northwest
>> 360-257-5673, DSN 820-5673, Fax 257-5315
>> howard.bledsoe@navy(.smil).mil, howard.bledsoe@nrnic.ic.gov
>
> My question is "is the kernel update required".
> If no, then why are you doing it?

If he needs to - and, given he's emailing from navy.mil, I'm suspecting it
might be, if nothing else than for bugfixes and security patches, then Joey's
procedure is the one you really want to follow.

One REALLY IMPORTANT POINT: install using rpm -ivh. DO NOT USE -U - you do
*not* want to do an in-place upgrade. If you do that, going back is really,
*really* bad. Doing an -ivh installs in parallel, letting you choose to boot
the previous version of the kernel.

Once you've done that, and have tested and are happy, you'll probably want to
change the grub (or lilo) default to boot the new kernel, rather than the old.

I would get all the files, btw: it may want an update to the glibc lib, and
possibly other tools.

mark

Old 12-24-2008, 05:33 PM
mark

Old 01-26-2009, 12:27 PM
George Magklaras

I am not sure I would agree with either of the solutions presented in
the thread. I understand that your systems need extra security. However,
there is security in terms of availability and security in terms of
confidentiality. To rely on a system to be available, just by upgrading
the kernel is not a good idea. glibc, module-init-tools, and other
dependences might introduce problems to the system if you just upgrade
the kernel, especially if you do development work (compilers, dev libs?)

You need a proper way to handle the dependencies for these things.

If your employer wants the best solution about keeping RHEL systems
up-to-date in a secure way, that should provide a proper RHN Satelite
Server. It is essentially an advanced proxy server that stands between
your system and the Internet and allows controlled upgrades. The
procedure to obtain and setup this is given here:

https://www.redhat.com/rhn/

and at the bottom you should find various whitepaper links that give you
an idea about what to expect when you implement this.

George Magklaras BSc Hons MPhil
RHCE:805008309135525

Senior Computer Systems Engineer/UNIX-Linux Systems Administrator
EMBnet Technical Management Board
The Biotechnology Centre of Oslo,
University of Oslo
http://folk.uio.no/georgios

Bledsoe, Howard W CIV CNRNW, N632WI wrote:

All:

How can I update the kernel for my RHEL 5 systems? I am not
permitted to connect them to the Internet, but may download files and
burn them to CD. Since I will not be doing development work, should I
download all 14 or 15 files?

Is this procedure documented somewhere? Can anyone recommend a
book?

R, Howard

------------------

Old 01-27-2009, 12:10 AM
mark

George Magklaras wrote:
> I am not sure I would agree with either of the solutions presented in
> the thread. I understand that your systems need extra security. However,
> there is security in terms of availability and security in terms of
> confidentiality. To rely on a system to be available, just by upgrading
> the kernel is not a good idea. glibc, module-init-tools, and other
> dependences might introduce problems to the system if you just upgrade
> the kernel, especially if you do development work (compilers, dev libs?)
> You need a proper way to handle the dependencies for these things.

I dunno. Over the years, I've upgraded my kernel a number of times. Yep, I did
also have to do binutils, and a few others, but I never had a problem compiling.

> If your employer wants the best solution about keeping RHEL systems
> up-to-date in a secure way, that should provide a proper RHN Satelite
> Server. It is essentially an advanced proxy server that stands between
> your system and the Internet and allows controlled upgrades. The
> procedure to obtain and setup this is given here:
> https://www.redhat.com/rhn/
>
> and at the bottom you should find various whitepaper links that give you
> an idea about what to expect when you implement this.

*sigh*
I'm literally learning about that today at work - the distributed, freeware
version is Spacewalk.

mark