Old 12-15-2008, 01:49 PM
"sunhux G"

Default DataProtector service not auto-started after server reboot

Hi

I have 5 Redhat 4.6 RHES servers which I've installed HP
dataprotector in exactly the same manner.

For 3 of them, each time after reboot the Dataprotector
"omni" process would listen on Tcp 5555 (netstat -a
confirms this)

However for 2 of them, DP "omni" is not auto-started up
after each reboot & I have to issue "service xinetd restart"
to start it up.

Can see that in all 5 servers, /etc/xinetd.d/omni is present
& the contents are the same.

I've also created a startup script in /etc/rc3.d/S99startomni
& in /etc/rc5.d/S99startomni which contain just one line :
service xinetd restart
but still after each reboot, it won't start up the omni service

What's wrong? The 2 servers with problem was hardened
by an external vendor so not exactly sure what's been done

Thanks
Roger

Old 12-15-2008, 01:52 PM
"Aaron Bliss"

I'm sure you already checked this, but is xinetd configured to start at
bootup?

Aaron

Old 12-15-2008, 02:04 PM
"Broekman, Maarten"

You mentioned that the 2 servers with the problem were "hardened". Was
SELinux enabled on them? Also, I'd check your log files to see what (if
any) messages you're getting during boot.

Also, when you say that the "omni process" is listening on TCP:5555, do
you mean that you actually see an "omni" process in the ps output, or
you see that there is something listening on tcp port 5555 in the
netstat -a output?

I'd also check your /etc/services file to make sure those are the same
on all the systems as well as your sysctl settings.

And just out of paranoia, check the /etc/security/ files to make sure
those are the same on all the servers as well.

Maarten Broekman
Email: maarten.broekman@fmr.com

Old 12-18-2008, 01:38 AM
"sunhux G"

Thanks Aaron/Maarten,

How can I check if xinetd is autostarted : currently, ssh service is
autostart, so I presume, xinetd is autostarted??

"omni" process is not there, only that "netstat -a | grep 5555" showed
it's listening there.

the S99startomni is chmod to 755 (execute bit is on)

how do I check for SELinux & sysctl

Tks
Roger

Old 12-18-2008, 01:50 AM
"Aaron Bliss"

chkconfig --list xinetd -> this will display what init levels the daemon
will start
chkconfig xinetd on -> this will enable xinetd at boot time

Aaron