Old 12-11-2008, 04:10 PM
"Jay Berryman"

Default openssl and weak ciphers

I am trying to figure out how to disable weak cipher suites within
openssl and haven't had much luck. Does anyone know how to do this?

Jay Berryman
Systems Engineer
+1 402.963.6347 T

+1 402.963.6051 F
jay.berryman@sitel.com

Sitel
5601 N 103rd St
Omaha, NE 68132
+1 402.963.6001
www.sitel.com <http://www.sitel.com/>

**CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE**
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain PRIVILEGED or CONFIDENTIAL information and may be read or used only by the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of the e-mail or any of its attachments, please be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination, distribution, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail or any attached files is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately purge it and all attachments and notify the sender by reply e-mail.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:11 PM
mark

Jay Berryman wrote:
> I am trying to figure out how to disable weak cipher suites within
> openssl and haven't had much luck. Does anyone know how to do this?

Are you doing this for apache? If so, in the ssl.conf (or whatever you've got
it in, you can change options... I'm having trouble here, since I no longer
work where I was, so I can't just pull configuration files up that I know well,
but remove +LOW, at least.

mark

Old 12-11-2008, 05:16 PM
"Rohit khaladkar"

I guess I had this problem earlier. I changed the ssl.conf file as
following:

SSLProtocol all -SSLv2
SSLCipherSuite
ALL:!ADH:!NULL:!EXPORT56:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:-LOW:+SSLv3:+TLSv1:-SSLv2:+EXP:+eNULL

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Rohit Khaladkar.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:41 PM
mark

Rohit khaladkar wrote:
> I guess I had this problem earlier. I changed the ssl.conf file as
> following:
>
> SSLProtocol all -SSLv2
> SSLCipherSuite
> ALL:!ADH:!NULL:!EXPORT56:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:-LOW:+SSLv3:+TLSv1:-SSLv2:+EXP:+eNULL

There we go - I believe that line could be rewritten as

ALL:!ADH:!NULL:!EXPORT56:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:+SS Lv3:+TLSv1:-SSLv2:+EXP:+eNULL

There's also the question of whether you want to use SSLv1.

mark