Old 12-09-2008, 12:59 PM
SIG - Pédagogie

Default Init script not called during system shutdown

Hello,

I'm using an up-to-date Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.7 (64 bits) system
and I'd like to setup a startup/shutdown script to manage an Oracle AS
10g R2 installation.

The script works fine (start/stop/restart) when called from a bash
prompt and it's launched at system startup with no problem.

The issue is that it's no called at all when the system shuts down, I
checked runlevels, permissions for the script, I even put some "wall"
and "echo" in it...

I try different priorities, different script names, different shells,
it's always the same. The only particularity of the script is that the
commands I launch need to run under a user with no privileges, I use
"su" for that.

(Once again, everything works when it's called from a shell, so doesn't
seem to be "su"-related and the "wall" and "echo" command that should be
exectued in root aren't executed)

I have absolutely no idea why this happens...

# ls -l /etc/init.d/ora-as1
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 617 Dec 9 14:45 /etc/init.d/ora-as1

# cat /etc/init.d/ora-as1
#!/bin/sh
#
# Startup script for Oracle AS 10g R2
# chkconfig: 345 86 14
#

start() {
su -c "opmnctl startall" - ora-as1
su -c "emctl start iasconsole" - ora-as1
}

stop() {
wall "Stopping ora-as1"
echo "`date` - Stopping ora-as1" >> /var/log/oracleas10gr2.log
su -c "emctl stop iasconsole" - ora-as1
su -c "opmnctl stopall" - ora-as1
}

# See how we were called
case "$1" in
start)
start
;;
stop)
stop
;;
restart)
stop
start
;;
*)
echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart}"
esac

exit 0

# find /etc/rc* -type l -name "*ora-as1*"
/etc/rc.d/rc1.d/K14ora-as1
/etc/rc.d/rc2.d/K14ora-as1
/etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S86ora-as1
/etc/rc.d/rc4.d/S86ora-as1
/etc/rc.d/rc0.d/K14ora-as1
/etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S86ora-as1
/etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K14ora-as1

# chkconfig --list ora-as1
ora-as1 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff

Any idea?
--
Nicolas

--
Ce message a ete verifie par MailScanner
suspect n'a ete trouve.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:07 PM
"Phil Peart"

Hey there...

Try this...Oracle 10g needs dbstart/dbshut to be called with $ORACLE_HOME as
an argument. The echo $? dont seem to work but the script starts and stops
Oracle OK. Every DB listed in /etc/oratab with last field as Y will be
stopped and started with this script.

Here's my script:

#!/bin/sh
# chkconfig: 35 99 10
#
# Set ORACLE_HOME to be equivalent to the $ORACLE_HOME
# from which you wish to execute dbstart and dbshut;
#
# Set ORACLE_OWNER to the user id of the owner of the
# Oracle database in ORACLE_HOME.
ORACLE_HOME=/oracle/product/10g
ORACLE_OWNER=oracle
export ORACLE_HOME ORACLE_OWNER
if [ ! -f ${ORACLE_HOME}/bin/dbstart ]
then
echo "Oracle startup: cannot start"
exit
fi
case "$1" in
'start')
# Start the Oracle databases:
# The following command assumes that the oracle login
# will not prompt the user for any values
su - ${ORACLE_OWNER} -c
'ORACLE_HOME_LISTNER=$ORACLE_HOME;${ORACLE_HOME}/bin/dbstart
${ORACLE_HOME}';ret=$?
if ((ret==0))
then
echo "OK"
else
echo "FAILED"
fi
;;
'stop')
# Stop the Oracle databases:
# The following command assumes that the oracle login
# will not prompt the user for any values
su - ${ORACLE_OWNER} -c
'ORACLE_HOME_LISTNER=$ORACLE_HOME;${ORACLE_HOME}/bin/dbshut
${ORACLE_HOME}';ret=$?
if ((ret==0))
then
echo "OK"
else
echo "FAILED"
fi
;;
esac

#End of script

Cheers,

Phil

Old 12-09-2008, 01:19 PM
Barry Brimer

Your script needs to touch a /var/lock/subsys/<service name> file upon
successful startup, and remove it on a successful stop. In a shutdown,
services are stopped that have a lock file in /var/lock/subsys.

Barry

Old 12-09-2008, 01:38 PM
mark

SIG - Pédagogie wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using an up-to-date Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.7 (64 bits) system
> and I'd like to setup a startup/shutdown script to manage an Oracle AS
> 10g R2 installation.
>
> The script works fine (start/stop/restart) when called from a bash
> prompt and it's launched at system startup with no problem.
>
> The issue is that it's no called at all when the system shuts down, I
> checked runlevels, permissions for the script, I even put some "wall"
> and "echo" in it...

Is there an /etc/rc[35].d/Kora-as1 ?

mark

Old 12-09-2008, 01:48 PM
mark

mark wrote:
> SIG - Pédagogie wrote:
<snip>
Ooops, hit <send> before I realized I meant to write
> Is there an /etc/rc[35].d/K12ora-as1 ?

or whatever's appropos.

mark

Old 12-09-2008, 02:05 PM
SIG - Pédagogie

Barry Brimer a écrit :
Your script needs to touch a /var/lock/subsys/<service name> file upon
successful startup, and remove it on a successful stop. In a shutdown,
services are stopped that have a lock file in /var/lock/subsys.

Thanks for your quick reply, that was exactly the problem. I wasn't
aware of these "pid-like" system, I suppose it is meant to prevent the
system to stop services already stopped...

Nicolas

Old 12-09-2008, 02:09 PM
SIG - Pédagogie

mark a écrit :

I'm using an up-to-date Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.7 (64 bits)
system and I'd like to setup a startup/shutdown script to manage an
Oracle AS 10g R2 installation.

The script works fine (start/stop/restart) when called from a bash
prompt and it's launched at system startup with no problem.

The issue is that it's no called at all when the system shuts down,
I checked runlevels, permissions for the script, I even put some
"wall" and "echo" in it...

Is there an /etc/rc[35].d/Kora-as1 ?

Yes, in my first mail I enclosed the output of:

# find /etc/rc* -type l -name "*ora-as1*"

Note: the problem was resolved thanks to Barry's answer.

--
Nicolas

Old 12-10-2008, 05:47 AM
Ravi Shanmugam

Hi Nickolas,

Try to modify the start and stop script as follows.

# cat /etc/init.d/ora-as1
#!/bin/sh
#
# Startup script for Oracle AS 10g R2
# chkconfig: 345 86 14
#

start() {
su -c "opmnctl startall" - ora-as1
su -c "emctl start iasconsole" - ora-as1
touch /var/lock/subsys/ora-as1
}

stop() {
wall "Stopping ora-as1"
echo "`date` - Stopping ora-as1" >> /var/log/oracleas10gr2.log
su -c "emctl stop iasconsole" - ora-as1
su -c "opmnctl stopall" - ora-as1
rm -f /var/lock/subsys/ora-as1
}

i.e add "touch /var/lock/subsys/ora-as1" in start() function and add "rm
-f /var/lock/subsys/ora-as1" in your stop() function.

This will work.

Regds,
Rav

------------------------------

Message: 6

=

[...]

SASKEN BUSINESS DISCLAIMER
-------------------------
This message may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. In
case you are not the original intended Recipient of the message, you must not, directly or
indirectly, use, Disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message and you are
requested to delete it and inform the sender. Any views expressed in this message are
those of the individual sender unless otherwise stated. Nothing contained in this message
shall be construed as an offer or acceptance of any offer by Sasken Communication
Technologies Limited ("Sasken") unless sent with that express intent and with due
authority of Sasken. Sasken has taken enough precautions to prevent the spread of
viruses. However the company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus
transmitted by this email