Old 12-04-2008, 03:38 PM
"Rohit khaladkar"

Default user permissions.

Hi All!
Just wanted to know if there is a way to find out if the logged in user has
the permission to create a new user in Red hat linux. I guess one way would
be to check in the sudoers file.

Please let me know if anyone has any other ideas.

Thanks!
Rohit

Old 12-04-2008, 03:50 PM
"Madan Thapa"

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 10:08 PM, Rohit khaladkar
<rohit.khaladkar@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi All!
> Just wanted to know if there is a way to find out if the logged in user has
> the permission to create a new user in Red hat linux. I guess one way
> would
> be to check in the sudoers file.
>
> Please let me know if anyone has any other ideas.

chmod 750 /usr/sbin/useradd

example:-

Old 12-04-2008, 03:52 PM
"Madan Thapa"

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 10:20 PM, Madan Thapa <madan.feedback@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 10:08 PM, Rohit khaladkar <
> rohit.khaladkar@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All!
>> Just wanted to know if there is a way to find out if the logged in user
>> has
>> the permission to create a new user in Red hat linux. I guess one way
>> would
>> be to check in the sudoers file.
>>
>> Please let me know if anyone has any other ideas.

> Well, sudousers is the file to check for.

In case you want to restrict all except root user from creating accounts,
following should work:

Old 12-04-2008, 03:58 PM
mark

Madan Thapa wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 10:08 PM, Rohit khaladkar
> <rohit.khaladkar@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi All!
>> Just wanted to know if there is a way to find out if the logged in user has
>> the permission to create a new user in Red hat linux. I guess one way
>> would
>> be to check in the sudoers file.
>>
>> Please let me know if anyone has any other ideas.
>
> chmod 750 /usr/sbin/useradd

Which would work if the logged-in user has root among their groups. If not, no.

mark

Old 12-04-2008, 04:09 PM
"krishna kilari"

check sudoersls -l /usr/sbin/useradd -- see the permission like user and
group
cat /etc/group -- see users in which group

Old 12-10-2008, 06:50 AM
"duncan (sadc)"

Madan Thapa wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 10:08 PM, Rohit khaladkar
> <rohit.khaladkar@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi All!
>> Just wanted to know if there is a way to find out if the logged in
>> user

has
>> the permission to create a new user in Red hat linux. I guess one way
>> would
>> be to check in the sudoers file.
>>
>> Please let me know if anyone has any other ideas.
>
> chmod 750 /usr/sbin/useradd

Which would work if the logged-in user has root among their groups. If
not,

no.

i also have almost the same problem. Can someone verify if these group
entries are correct . Took them from /etc/group

root : x : 0 : root
bin : x : 1 : root,bin,daemon
sys : x : 3 : root,bin,adm
adm : x : 4 : root,adm,daemon

Old 12-10-2008, 02:17 PM
"krishna kilari"

even if someone has permission on /usr/sbin/useradd.But if he cant get in to
the dir /usr/sbin . Then he cant execute the useradd command.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:51 PM
mark

krishna kilari wrote:
> even if someone has permission on /usr/sbin/useradd.But if he cant get in to
> the dir /usr/sbin . Then he cant execute the useradd command.

I've never seen permissions on /usr/sbin locked down so that users couldn't
access any of the commands. On the other hand, I've also never seen /sbin or
/usr/sbin in any ordinary user path, so that to even try, they need to give the
full path (or modify their PATH).

mark