Old 12-03-2008, 08:43 PM
"Rajiv Baxi"

Default RHEL 5.1: using RHN with YUM

I am currently running RHEL version 5.1 x64. I originally skipped entering the installation ID during installation and skipped activation at that point (thinking that we would never have a use for it). Recently it had been brought to my attention that updates were needed. I ran rhn_register. It appeared that it had worked successfully. Now what I would like to do is, configure YUM to use RHN as a download source. Is it possible to do so? If so, how?

I've done a little research on this and I've found that I may have to install the yum+rhnplugin. Is that correct? Anyone have a guide as to how to configure this?

Many thanks,

Rajiv Baxi

Old 12-03-2008, 08:55 PM
"krishna kilari"

in text mode #rhn_register

Old 12-04-2008, 12:54 AM
"crypto grid"

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 6:43 PM, Rajiv Baxi <rajiv.baxi@netzero.net> wrote:

> I am currently running RHEL version 5.1 x64. I originally skipped entering
> the installation ID during installation and skipped activation at that point
> (thinking that we would never have a use for it). Recently it had been
> brought to my attention that updates were needed. I ran rhn_register. It
> appeared that it had worked successfully.

if you successfully registered your server (you should have username and
password in RHN), you should be able to see the server on RHN site.

> Now what I would like to do is, configure YUM to use RHN as a download
> source. Is it possible to do so? If so, how?

that's not necessary. All you need is to run #yum update.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Venkata Vuppala

Once you have the internet connection from the server.
Use rhn_reg ( Use tab to see the correct command )
and it will give the options to be used.
once this command is succesfully executed then you can use
yum commands.
*
Cheers,
Venkata Vuppala