-   -   RHEL 5.2 and IPW3945 (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/203831-rhel-5-2-ipw3945.html)

"Jason Riker" 12-02-2008 04:04 AM

RHEL 5.2 and IPW3945

Group,

Hi, all. I performed a fresh install of rhel 5.2 today and all was good.
By this I mean that the wireless NIC worked. Shortly after I did a 'yum
update' and the wireless card stopped. I don't understand what happened and
don't know where to start researching the issue. Can someone offer help
with this?

The laptop is an HP dv2000 (2660se to be specific) with an Intel IPW3945
NIC.

Thank you.

Jason

Barry Brimer 12-02-2008 04:41 AM

RHEL 5.2 and IPW3945

Hi, all. I performed a fresh install of rhel 5.2 today and all was good.
By this I mean that the wireless NIC worked. Shortly after I did a 'yum
update' and the wireless card stopped. I don't understand what happened and
don't know where to start researching the issue. Can someone offer help
with this?

The laptop is an HP dv2000 (2660se to be specific) with an Intel IPW3945
NIC.

In order for the wireless NIC to work, the ipw3945d service must be
started before the device can be used. If chkconfig --list ipw3945d shows
"5:Off" then the ipw3945d service is not set to start on bootup. You can
enable it to start on bootup by typing "chkconfig ipw3945d on" .. you can
also start it by typing "service ipw3945d start". This will make the
driver load so that it can be used by your system. I don't know how you
are configuring your network (ifcfg-ethX scripts, NetworkManager,
wpa_supplicant) so I can't provide too much other assistance, but use
iwconfig to determine if you are connected to the intended network. dmesg
is also usually helpful in finding issues with wireless cards, if it is at
the device level.

Hope this helps.
Barry

"Jason Riker" 12-02-2008 02:07 PM

RHEL 5.2 and IPW3945

> Hi, all. I performed a fresh install of rhel 5.2 today and all was good.
> By this I mean that the wireless NIC worked. Shortly after I did a 'yum
> update' and the wireless card stopped. I don't understand what happened
and
> don't know where to start researching the issue. Can someone offer help
> with this?

> The laptop is an HP dv2000 (2660se to be specific) with an Intel IPW3945
> NIC.

In order for the wireless NIC to work, the ipw3945d service must be
started before the device can be used. If chkconfig --list ipw3945d shows
"5:Off" then the ipw3945d service is not set to start on bootup. You can
enable it to start on bootup by typing "chkconfig ipw3945d on" .. you can
also start it by typing "service ipw3945d start". This will make the
driver load so that it can be used by your system. I don't know how you
are configuring your network (ifcfg-ethX scripts, NetworkManager,
wpa_supplicant) so I can't provide too much other assistance, but use
iwconfig to determine if you are connected to the intended network. dmesg
is also usually helpful in finding issues with wireless cards, if it is at
the device level.

Hope this helps.
Barry

Barry,

Thanks for the info. I checked the status of ipw3945d and it is set to
"5:On." I am using NetworkManager. The issue with NetworkManager is that
when I click the icon in the panel wireless is there, but is dimmed and not
selectable. Right clicking on the icon shows "Enable Wireless" is selected.
Grepping eth1 and ipw3945 from dmesg provide the following:

eth1 - ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth1: link is not ready

ipw - Radio Frequency Kill Switch is on:
Detected geography ABG (11 802.11bg channels, 13 802.11a channels)

Please let me know if there's other information I should provide to help
with this.

Jason

Kristoffer Knigga 12-02-2008 05:51 PM

RHEL 5.2 and IPW3945

Radio Frequency Kill Switch is on?

I know my HP laptop has a hardware switch to enable and disable Bluetooth and 802.11. Does yours? Is that switch set to off?

Kris

Barry Brimer 12-02-2008 06:56 PM

RHEL 5.2 and IPW3945

Quoting Jason Riker <jasonrkr@charter.net>:

> [...]

What is the output of "iwlist eth1 scan" ??

Jason Riker 12-02-2008 08:08 PM

RHEL 5.2 and IPW3945

Kris,

I've tried connecting both with it both off and on. I've even looked into the BIOS, as one forum suggested, but there wasn't a way for me to control it there.

Jason