Old 11-15-2008, 04:18 PM
"debu --- Debajit kataki"

Default swap not being used

I had a pretty old untouched server for a long time, which i thought to
bring back to production. But what i saw was it had no swap at all.

I crated two LVM of 2GB each, mkfs -t ext3 lvm, mkswap and a swapon. is not
showing me that it is currently being used, even when the entire memorey got
exhausted.

Any pointer/advuce guys? Am I missing something?

Regards
~debu

Old 11-15-2008, 05:09 PM
Stephen Gilbert

You gave your swap partitions a type of ext3? Try going into fdisk and
changing their partition type to Linux Swap. I think the type is 82, if
I remember correctly.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:44 PM
"Geofrey Rainey"

Linux will try to maximize its memory usage so there's nothing wrong
With 99% memory usage. Perhaps your system doesn't actually need
To be using swap?

online at tvnz.co.nz

Old 11-17-2008, 03:14 AM
"debu"

Hi,
*
Here is more detail:

perl testswap.pl

code:

#!/usr/bin/perl

$i = 0;

while ($i < 100000000000000)
{
$allocate_mem[$i] =
"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaa";
$i++;
}

I run this script in one console and in another with free -mt.

Till i get : "Out of memory" in 1 st console, i see not a single KB swap is utilized in second console of same server.

#cat /etc/fstab.

/dev/VolGroup00/swap01 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/swap02 swap swap defaults 0 0

Whats happening?

~Regards
DK

Old 11-17-2008, 10:52 AM
"Erling Ringen Elvsrud"

On 17 Nov 2008 04:14:13 -0000, debu <debajit_kataki@rediffmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> #cat /etc/fstab.
>
> /dev/VolGroup00/swap01 swap swap defaults 0 0
> /dev/VolGroup00/swap02 swap swap defaults 0 0

It is better to execute "swapon -s" and "free" to check how much swap
you have, and to determine if the swap-volumes are active.

Erling

Old 11-17-2008, 05:09 PM
"Ezra Taylor"

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 12:18 PM, debu --- Debajit kataki
<debajitkataki@gmail.com> wrote:
> I had a pretty old untouched server for a long time, which i thought to
> bring back to production. But what i saw was it had no swap at all.
>

> I crated two LVM of 2GB each, mkfs -t ext3 lvm, mkswap and a swapon. is not
> showing me that it is currently being used, even when the entire memorey got
> exhausted.
>
> Any pointer/advuce guys? Am I missing something?
>
> Regards
> ~debu

Gents:
Create you swap using fdisk first. Make sure you use
filesystem type number 82 like Stephen said. If you are using LVM,
perform the normal steps. Then, do a mkswap on your logical partiton.
If you need more detailed stepps, send me an email.

--
Ezra Taylor