Old 11-14-2008, 10:08 PM
Yong Huang

Default How to make sure multiple servers update same packages on different days

$ cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 7)
$ uname -a
Linux <xxx> 2.6.9-55.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Apr 20 16:36:54 EDT 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

We have multiple servers running an Oracle database cluster. We need to run up2date on them each on one day. What's the best way to make sure the packages up2date downloads and installs are exactly the same on all nodes, even if Redhat Network publishes one in the middle of the period? I think we can up2date -d to download the packages to /var/spool/up2date on one node, and scp them to all other nodes and rpm -ivh each package on other nodes. Any comments?

Yong Huang