-   -   Exact RAM size. (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/193209-exact-ram-size.html)

"Rohit khaladkar" 11-14-2008 04:57 AM

Exact RAM size.

Hi!I have Red Hat linux 4.5 and 5.2 installed on my systems. There is a
application which tells me, how much exact RAM size is required to load
another application.For eg : it would be 20 GB or 2 GB.
Now when I run my script I need to find out the RAM size.But if the server
ordered is of 2GB RAM size , exactly 2GB is never shown by the system. It is
a little less than 2GB.Is there any way I can have a criteria
to tell how much is the exact RAM size.

Thanks!
Rohit Khaladkar

David Tonhofer 11-14-2008 09:40 AM

Exact RAM size.

Rohit khaladkar wrote:

Hi!I have Red Hat linux 4.5 and 5.2 installed on my systems. There is a
application which tells me, how much exact RAM size is required to load
another application.For eg : it would be 20 GB or 2 GB.
Now when I run my script I need to find out the RAM size.But if the server
ordered is of 2GB RAM size , exactly 2GB is never shown by the system. It is
a little less than 2GB.Is there any way I can have a criteria
to tell how much is the exact RAM size.

Thanks!
Rohit Khaladkar

Well, what the operating system tells you counts.

For example, if you have 4 GiB installed (as given by the DIMM sizes),
then the OS

will announce less:

-- because the hardware will not see part of the RAM as it will be
hidden by memory-mapped devices

-- because the kernel reserves a part for the crash handler
-- because of the kernel image

So you just do "cat /proc/meminfo" (or alternatively 'free', which reads
/proc/meminfo) and read off "MemTotal".

This is all the free memory you get.

Kernel data structures, I/O caches and the User processes will all have
to go in there.

"Rohit khaladkar" 11-14-2008 09:48 AM

Exact RAM size.

Thanks a lot! That helps!