-   -   How do you write dvds? (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/191833-how-do-you-write-dvds.html)

Margaret Doll 11-11-2008 08:39 PM

How do you write dvds?

I have been trying to write dvds using cdrecord on RedHat systems,
2.4.21-57.ELsmp and 2.6.9-78.ELsmp.

I use

mkisof -R -o disk1.iso disk1

cdrecord speed=4 dev=/dev/cdwriter:@ disk1.iso

The Vendor_info from cdrecord: 'HL-DT-ST'
Identification: DVD+-RW GWA4164B

Using generic SCSI-3/mmc
Drvier flags: MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE

cmd finished after 0.001s timeout 40s
cdrecord: No disk / Wrong disk!

I have tried DVD-R by Memorex, imation DVD-R and HP dvd+R

mark 11-11-2008 08:58 PM

How do you write dvds?

Margaret Doll wrote:
> I have been trying to write dvds using cdrecord on RedHat systems,

Hmmm... I used to do this; these days, I pull up, in X, k3b, which is a *lot*
easier.

mark

Margaret Doll 11-12-2008 06:18 PM

How do you write dvds?

I have installed k3b on one of the RedHat systems, but it doesn't
recognize

any of the dvds that I have tried.

HP DVD+r 16x 4.7 Gb/120 Min
Memorex DVD-R 16x 4.7 Gb 120 min
Memorex DVD+R 16x 4.7 Gb 120 min
imation DVD-R 16X 4.7 Gb, 2 hour

I have Dell Optiplex GC620 hardware.

What DVDs do you use?

"Paolo Galtieri" 11-12-2008 06:33 PM

How do you write dvds?

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 12:18 PM, Margaret Doll <Margaret_Doll@brown.edu>wrote:

> I have installed k3b on one of the RedHat systems, but it doesn't recognize
> any of the dvds that I have tried.
>
> HP DVD+r 16x 4.7 Gb/120 Min
> Memorex DVD-R 16x 4.7 Gb 120 min
> Memorex DVD+R 16x 4.7 Gb 120 min
> imation DVD-R 16X 4.7 Gb, 2 hour
>
> I have Dell Optiplex GC620 hardware.
>
> What DVDs do you use?
>

> On Nov 11, 2008, at 4:58 PM, mark wrote:
>
> Margaret Doll wrote:
>>
>>> I have been trying to write dvds using cdrecord on RedHat systems,
>>>

>> Hmmm... I used to do this; these days, I pull up, in X, k3b, which is a
>> *lot*
>> easier.
>>
>> mark
>>
>>> 2.4.21-57.ELsmp and 2.6.9-78.ELsmp.
>>>
>>> I use
>>>
>>> mkisof -R -o disk1.iso disk1
>>>
>>> cdrecord speed=4 dev=/dev/cdwriter:@ disk1.iso
>>>
>>> The Vendor_info from cdrecord: 'HL-DT-ST'
>>> Identification: DVD+-RW GWA4164B
>>>
>>> Using generic SCSI-3/mmc
>>> Drvier flags: MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
>>>
>>> cmd finished after 0.001s timeout 40s
>>> cdrecord: No disk / Wrong disk!
>>>
>>> I have tried DVD-R by Memorex, imation DVD-R and HP dvd+R
>>>

>> --

I've tried the Nautilus CD/DVD application with mixed results. Sometimes it
locks up requiring me to kill and restart nautilus to get my dvd device
back. I have had no problems with the following commands:

genisoimage -o /tmp/dvd.iso -R MyDirectory

wodim -v -speed=8 dev=/dev/scd0 -data /tmp/dvd.iso

These commands also work to write to a dual layer dvd. nautilus on F8
doesn't detect dual layer dvd disks correctly.

I've tried them on a Dell XPS 420 and a Precision M65 laptop without
problems with both internal and external dvd drives.

Paolo

mark 11-12-2008 06:35 PM

How do you write dvds?

Margaret Doll wrote:
> I have installed k3b on one of the RedHat systems, but it doesn't recognize
> any of the dvds that I have tried.
>
> HP DVD+r 16x 4.7 Gb/120 Min
> Memorex DVD-R 16x 4.7 Gb 120 min
> Memorex DVD+R 16x 4.7 Gb 120 min
> imation DVD-R 16X 4.7 Gb, 2 hour
>
> I have Dell Optiplex GC620 hardware.
>
> What DVDs do you use?

Cheap Phillips DVD+R.

Hmmm. how did you try to use it? Open "New Data DVD Project", and after that,
you're saying that in the upper left hand window, it's showing the DVD burner,
but no medium?

mark

Margaret Doll 11-13-2008 01:34 PM

How do you write dvds?

I have installed k3b on one of the RedHat systems, but it doesn't
recognize

any of the dvds that I have tried.

HP DVD+r 16x 4.7 Gb/120 Min
Memorex DVD-R 16x 4.7 Gb 120 min
Memorex DVD+R 16x 4.7 Gb 120 min
imation DVD-R 16X 4.7 Gb, 2 hour

I have Dell Optiplex GC620 hardware.

What DVDs do you use?

Cheap Phillips DVD+R.

Hmmm. how did you try to use it? Open "New Data DVD Project", and
after that,
you're saying that in the upper left hand window, it's showing the
DVD burner,

but no medium?

That's right.

I have tried k3b, cdrecord which comes with RedHat and cdrecord
installed from the

source in /usr/local.

I can write cds, but I cannot write dvds. I think there is a problem
with the drives.

mark

Tom Curl 11-13-2008 01:51 PM

How do you write dvds?

When you put a DVD disk in the drive does it show up on the Desktop?

mark 11-13-2008 02:29 PM

How do you write dvds?

Margaret Doll wrote:
> On Nov 12, 2008, at 2:35 PM, mark wrote:
>
>> Margaret Doll wrote:
>>> I have installed k3b on one of the RedHat systems, but it doesn't
>>> recognize
>>> any of the dvds that I have tried.
>>>
>>> HP DVD+r 16x 4.7 Gb/120 Min
>>> Memorex DVD-R 16x 4.7 Gb 120 min
>>> Memorex DVD+R 16x 4.7 Gb 120 min
>>> imation DVD-R 16X 4.7 Gb, 2 hour
>>>
>>> I have Dell Optiplex GC620 hardware.
>>>
>>> What DVDs do you use?
>>>
>> Cheap Phillips DVD+R.
>>
>> Hmmm. how did you try to use it? Open "New Data DVD Project", and
>> after that,
>> you're saying that in the upper left hand window, it's showing the DVD
>> burner,
>> but no medium?
>
> That's right.
>
> I have tried k3b, cdrecord which comes with RedHat and cdrecord
> installed from the source in /usr/local.
>
> I can write cds, but I cannot write dvds. I think there is a problem
> with the drives.

That begins to sound like the case. I recently tried to make a music CD, and it
wouldn't recognize the medium, but then I realized I'd put in a DVD.

Question: will it *read* DVDs?

mark

Margaret Doll 11-13-2008 02:40 PM

How do you write dvds?

[...]

I was able to write the dvd on a aux drive. The newly creted dvd
can be read on the cd/dvd reader, but not on the cd/dvd writer. /mnt/
cdrom can read, /mnt/cdrom1 cannot.

Its the drive.

Thanks to everyone for the debugging help. k3b is a nice program.

mark

"Eric Sisler" 11-13-2008 03:18 PM

How do you write dvds?

Margaret Doll <Margaret_Doll@brown.edu> wrote:

I have been trying to write dvds using cdrecord on RedHat systems,
> 2.4.21-57.ELsmp and 2.6.9-78.ELsmp.
>
> I use
>
> mkisof -R -o disk1.iso disk1
>
> cdrecord speed=4 dev=/dev/cdwriter:@ disk1.iso

You need to use the growisofs command instead of cdrecord:

growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/cdwriter=image.iso

I also agree that K3B is a great GUI tool.

-Eric