Old 11-10-2008, 04:58 AM
"Madan Thapa"

Default Managaing over 100 servers spread at different locations

Hi,

Please advise some tools, tips/tricks to manage and monitor large number of
servers ( say 100 plus ) spread at different locations.

Thanks

Old 11-10-2008, 05:01 AM

Clusterssh
Webmin (not really recommende)
Svn/cvs
Syslog-ng

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

Old 11-10-2008, 08:32 AM
chockalingam

Cacti (open source)
Nagios (open source)

Old 11-10-2008, 09:50 AM
"Erling Ringen Elvsrud"

On 11/10/08, Madan Thapa <madan.feedback@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please advise some tools, tips/tricks to manage and monitor large number of
> servers ( say 100 plus ) spread at different locations.

Red Hat Satellite Server: package repository, monitoring, updating systems.
Puppet, Cfengine and similar configuration management systems.
Nagios and munin for monitoring

Erling

Old 11-10-2008, 09:59 AM
David Tonhofer

chaim.rieger@gmail.com wrote:

Clusterssh
Webmin (not really recommende)
Svn/cvs
Syslog-ng

- SVN for centrally managing scripts and pushing them out/pulling fixes
in (you need an update script to run at each machine)
- KVM hardware to control the machines' console and if possibly power
supply remotely, otherwise you won't be able to test booting and things
will fail at the first occasion
- dancer's shell (http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/software/dsh.html.en)
which I haven't tried yet though (on my todo)
- MRTG or better rrdtool plus associated helper scripts to graph nice
curves of machine/OS behaviour (setting up the scripts involves
insiduous work, maybe look for a commercial solution)

Old 11-10-2008, 02:57 PM
David Tonhofer

David Tonhofer wrote:

chaim.rieger@gmail.com wrote:

Clusterssh
Webmin (not really recommende)
Svn/cvs Syslog-ng

- SVN for centrally managing scripts and pushing them out/pulling
fixes in (you need an update script to run at each machine)
- KVM hardware to control the machines' console and if possibly power
supply remotely, otherwise you won't be able to test booting and
things will fail at the first occasion
- dancer's shell
(http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/software/dsh.html.en) which I
haven't tried yet though (on my todo)
- MRTG or better rrdtool plus associated helper scripts to graph nice
curves of machine/OS behaviour (setting up the scripts involves
insiduous work, maybe look for a commercial solution)

...and rsync for replication and backups of the whole or parts of the
filesystem.