Old 11-04-2008, 09:54 AM
"Kenneth Holter"

Default Disk size recommendations for syslog server

Hello list.

We're about to set up a centralized syslog server, and were wondering if
there are any rules of thumbs regarding the size of the disk.

Regards,
Kenneth Holter

Old 11-04-2008, 10:19 AM
"Rohit khaladkar"

Well depends on the type of usage, but I guess 500 GB should be more than
sufficient.
Thanks!
Rohit Khaladkar

Old 11-04-2008, 11:27 AM
"Kenneth Holter"

Thanks for your reply.

500 GBs sounds quite a lot. We have around 200 servers, and they're usually
not producing too much logging (most of our applications have their own
logging, and doens't rely on syslog). I was hoping there maybe was some sort
of formula defining the avarage number of GBs logging pr server pr year, or
something like that.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:20 PM
"Broekman, Maarten"

Ken,
How many servers are you looking at logging? What syslog level?
What is your retention policy?

A basic rule of thumb would be to look at several of your
servers and see how large /var/log is just multiply it out by the number
of systems. Then add some slop-space for growth or unexpectedly high
activity.

Maarten Broekman
Email: maarten.broekman@fmr.com

Old 11-11-2008, 11:04 AM
"Kenneth Holter"

We're planning on logging between 100 and 200 servers for now, but the
number will probably increase in the future. Haven't decided on a syslog
level, so we're up for suggestions.

About your calculation: I guess this is the most intuitive approach, and
seems like a good calculation. After a quick random sampling of our servers
indicates that the size of /var/log is between 15 and 30 MB. Most of these
logs are rotated, though.

Regards,
Kenneth