Old 11-02-2008, 07:03 PM
Phil Savoie

Default RH 5.2 Raid 1 and smartmon

Hi all,

Would anyone know if smartmon would actually see the drives behind a
software Raid 1 mirror? And i guess as a second question, is it worth
it to employ this in a raid 1 scenario?

Thank in advance,

Phil

Old 11-02-2008, 08:35 PM
"Anthony DeStefano"

On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 3:03 PM, Phil Savoie <psavoie1783@rogers.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Would anyone know if smartmon would actually see the drives behind a
> software Raid 1 mirror? And i guess as a second question, is it worth
> it to employ this in a raid 1 scenario?

Since software RAID still exposes the raw /dev/sd* devices to the OS
smartmon can still be ran against the devices. However, I've never had
smartmon actually catch a bad disk before other signs showed it giving
up the ghost.

Anthony