Old 10-30-2008, 06:39 AM
"Rohit khaladkar"

Default Can I know if my disk is going bad.

Hi All,I am using Red Hat Linux 5.2 OS . I wanted to know if by any means
there is a way to find out if my disk is going bad.I looked for some command
and found out "badblocks" command for the same.But the problem is this
command takes lot of time to execute.

Please let me know if anyone is aware of any other way of finding it out, if
the disk is going bad.

Thanks!
Rohit Khaladkar

Old 10-30-2008, 09:23 AM
Ryan Golhar

I usually watch the logwatch messages. Anytime I've had a disk go bad,
there are usually kernel i/o errors pointed to /dev/sda (my hd).

Old 10-30-2008, 10:19 AM
David Tonhofer

Rohit khaladkar wrote:
Hi All,I am using Red Hat Linux 5.2 OS . I wanted to know if by any
means
there is a way to find out if my disk is going bad.I looked for some
command

and found out "badblocks" command for the same.But the problem is this
command takes lot of time to execute.

Please let me know if anyone is aware of any other way of finding it
out, if

the disk is going bad.

Thanks!
Rohit Khaladkar

You can use "smartctl" if the driver lets the SMART commands go to the disk.

This is the case for SATA but generally not SCSI.

1) Enable SMART (switches on online testing) and switch off auto offline
testing (heavy data collection)

/usr/sbin/smartctl -son /dev/hde
/usr/sbin/smartctl -ooff /dev/hde

2) Then run regular tests through a crontab entry:

00 06 * * * /usr/sbin/smartctl --test long /dev/hde > /dev/null
00 0-5,9-23 * * * /usr/sbin/smartctl --test short /dev/hde > /dev/null

3) Check the results using "smartctl -a /dev/hde"

smartctl version 5.33 [i686-redhat-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-4 Bruce
Allen
Home page is
http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Device Model: WDC WD3200SB-01KMA0
Serial Number: WD-WCAMR3474349
Firmware Version: 08.05J08
User Capacity: 320,072,933,376 bytes

Device is: Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]
ATA Version is:
6

ATA Standard is: Exact ATA specification draft version not
indicated

Local Time is: Thu Oct 30 12:18:58 2008
CET

SMART support is: Available - device has SMART
capability.

SMART support is:
Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION
===

SMART overall-health self-assessment test result:
PASSED

General SMART
Values:

Offline data collection status: (0x05) Offline data collection
activity

was aborted by an interrupting
command from
host.

Auto Offline Data Collection:
Disabled.

Self-test execution status: ( 241) Self-test routine in
progress...

10% of test
remaining.

Total time to complete
Offline

data collection: (9000)
seconds.

Offline data
collection

capabilities: (0x7b) SMART execute Offline
immediate.

Auto Offline data collection
on/off
support.

Suspend Offline collection upon
new

command.

Offline surface scan
supported.

Self-test
supported.

Conveyance Self-test
supported.

Selective Self-test
supported.

SMART capabilities: (0x0003) Saves SMART data before
entering

power-saving
mode.

Supports SMART auto save
timer.

Error logging capability: (0x01) Error logging
supported.

No General Purpose Logging
support.

Short self-test
routine

recommended polling time: ( 2)
minutes.

Extended self-test
routine

recommended polling time: ( 110)
minutes.

Conveyance self-test
routine

recommended polling time: ( 6)
minutes.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE
UPDATED WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate 0x000f 200 200 051 Pre-fail
Always - 0
3 Spin_Up_Time 0x0003 189 187 021 Pre-fail
Always - 5516
4 Start_Stop_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age
Always - 18
5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0033 200 200 140 Pre-fail
Always - 0
7 Seek_Error_Rate 0x000f 200 200 051 Pre-fail
Always - 0
9 Power_On_Hours 0x0032 087 087 000 Old_age
Always - 9911
10 Spin_Retry_Count 0x0013 100 253 051 Pre-fail
Always - 0
11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0012 100 253 051 Old_age
Always - 0
12 Power_Cycle_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age
Always - 18
194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 118 099 000 Old_age
Always - 32
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age
Always - 0
197 Current_Pending_Sector 0x0012 200 200 000 Old_age
Always - 0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable 0x0010 200 200 000 Old_age
Offline - 0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count 0x003e 200 200 000 Old_age
Always - 0
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate 0x0009 200 200 051 Pre-fail
Offline - 0

SMART Error Log Version: 1
No Errors Logged

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num Test_Description Status Remaining
LifeTime(hours) LBA_of_first_error
# 1 Short offline Completed without error 00%
9910 -
# 2 Short offline Completed without error 00%
9908 -
# 3 Short offline Aborted by host 10%
9908 -
# 4 Extended offline Completed without error 00%
9907 -
# 5 Short offline Aborted by host 10%
9904 -
# 6 Short offline Completed without error 00%
9902 -
# 7 Short offline Aborted by host 10%
9902 -
# 8 Short offline Aborted by host 10%
9901 -
# 9 Short offline Completed without error 00%
9900 -
#10 Short offline Completed without error 00%
9898 -
#11 Short offline Completed without error 00%
9897 -
#12 Short offline Completed without error 00%
9896 -
#13 Short offline Aborted by host 10%
9896 -
#14 Short offline Completed without error 00%
9894 -
#15 Short offline Completed without error 00%
9893 -
#16 Short offline Completed without error 00%
9893 -
#17 Short offline Completed without error 00%
9892 -
#18 Short offline Completed without error 00%
9890 -
#19 Short offline Completed without error 00%
9890 -
#20 Short offline Completed without error 00%
9888 -
#21 Short offline Completed without error 00%
9887 -

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1
SPAN MIN_LBA MAX_LBA CURRENT_TEST_STATUS
1 0 0 Not_testing
2 0 0 Not_testing
3 0 0 Not_testing
4 0 0 Not_testing
5 0 0 Not_testing
Selective self-test flags (0x0):
After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.
If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:15 PM
mark

Rohit khaladkar wrote:
> Hi All,I am using Red Hat Linux 5.2 OS . I wanted to know if by any means
> there is a way to find out if my disk is going bad.I looked for some command
> and found out "badblocks" command for the same.But the problem is this
> command takes lot of time to execute.
>
> Please let me know if anyone is aware of any other way of finding it out, if
> the disk is going bad.

Other than checking /var/log/messages for disk-related error messages, not to
my knowledge. Yes, it takes a while... but if you haven't made the backups, and
started to get a replacement disk before this one crashes, how much *more* time
will you be down?

I've never used badblocks by itself. When I've had problems, it's *ALWAYS* get
everyone off that disk, umount it, and fsck -c, and usually -p as well, to
automatically fix it. And then I start pricing a new drive.

And do a backup of the filesystem *now*!

mark