Old 10-29-2008, 05:07 PM
"Broekman, Maarten"

Default Ext3 fsck performance

I'm having an issue on a couple of my RHEL3 servers that have some
filesystems on them that are pretty large. These are all ext3
filesystems on SAN storage. Unfortunately, when we need to fsck these
filesystems, they can take anywhere from 3 to 12 hours each. We have
similar sized journaled filesystems on AIX and Solaris systems that
don't have these fsck times. Since ext3 is also journaled, we would
expect the fsck times to be similar.

I was looking at the various journaling modes, but I'm not sure if that
would help the fsck performance necessarily. In particular, I was
thinking of journaling both the data and the metadata.

Does anyone have any suggestions for performance tuning, mount options,
etc that would improve fsck performance?

Problem filesystems:
/dev/app/appdata0 817G 689G 120G 86% /appdata0
/dev/app/appdata1 635G 571G 58G 91% /appdata1
/dev/app/appdata2 552G 387G 160G 71% /appdata2
/dev/app/appdata3 553G 404G 143G 74% /appdata3

Thanks
Maarten