Old 10-17-2008, 10:26 PM
"John H. Nyhuis"

Default Q: RHEL5, Gnome + Compiz problems, missing title bar

Greetings,

I am trying to get Compiz up and working on my RHEL5 workstation. I
followed the installation guide located at:

http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_103_13010.shtm

I am running an NVidia GFX5200 card with 64MB RAM () and the latest NVidia
drivers NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.07-pkg1.

kernal is 2.6.18-92.1.13.e15
SELinux is disabled.

Unfortunately, when I "enable desktop effects," all of my windows lose
their title bar (no minimize, maximixe, or close button), and some windows
(such as terminal) cease functioning altogather (no prompt, empty white box).
Also, there does not seem to be a way to customize compiz effects
(manage desktop effects).

I have not found a good troubleshooting guide for how to fix this
difficult to describe problem.

-several google results attribute the problem to SELinux permissions, but I have
disabled SELinux and do not see a difference.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can point me in the correct direction!
:-)

Thanks,

John H. Nyhuis
IT Manager