Old 10-14-2008, 11:30 AM
"Rohit khaladkar"

Default Upgrade of Red Hat linux 4.5 to 5.2.

Hi!I have a server with Red Hat Linux 4.5 , and I need to update it with Red
Hat Linux 5.2. I would appreciate if someone can send me the procedure for
the upgradation of the Operating system.

Thanks!
Rohit Khaladkar

Old 10-14-2008, 11:49 AM
"Kenneth Holter"

As far as I know it is not really a recommended approach upgrading from one
release to another. You might want to consider doing a full reinstall.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:57 AM
"Rohit khaladkar"

Thanks kenneth! But if have some customers already at 4.5 , can you let me
know how it should be done without loss of data.
Thanks!
Rohit Khaladkar

Old 10-14-2008, 12:17 PM
"Aaron Bliss"

Rohit,
You'll have to migrate to 5.2. Either do a fresh install to new hardware or
have a lot of faith in your backups and do a clean install on your current
hardware.

Aaron

Old 10-14-2008, 12:27 PM
"Rohit khaladkar"

Thanks Aaron! Just to confirm, fresh install on the current hardware is the
best way to go . right..?
Thanks!
Rohit Khaladkar

Old 10-14-2008, 12:39 PM
"Kenneth Holter"

I'd go for fresh install on _new_ hardware, if possible. That way you don't
risk losing data, as the data will be available on the RHEL 4.5 box for as
long as you wish.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:40 PM
"FAUCONNIER Valery AWL-IT"

I tried to Upgrade of Red Hat linux 4.4 to 5.2 a few weeks ago and it's not a good idea.
You will spend a lot time to resolve problem.
What I got : the modprob.conf was empty that's mean a lot of problem with modules you had with you previous release of redhat and packages were missing.
Honestly, if you have a good backup of your data, a fresh install is the better way; That what I do now.

valery

Thanks Aaron! Just to confirm, fresh install on the current hardware is the
best way to go . right..?
Thanks!
Rohit Khaladkar

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 5:47 PM, Aaron Bliss <abliss@brockport.edu> wrote:

> Rohit,
> You'll have to migrate to 5.2. Either do a fresh install to new hardware
> or
> have a lot of faith in your backups and do a clean install on your current
> hardware.
>
> Aaron

Atos Worldline SA/NV - Chaussee de Haecht 1442 Haachtsesteenweg
- 1130 Brussels - Belgium
RPM-RPR Bruxelles-Brussel - TVA-BTW BE 0418.547.872
Bankrekening-Compte Bancaire-Bank Account 310-0269424-44
BIC BBRUBEBB - IBAN BE55 3100 2694 2444

"The information contained in this e-mail and any attachment thereto is confidential and may contain information which is protected by intellectual property rights.
This information is intended for the exclusive use of the recipient(s) named above.
This e-mail does not constitute any binding relationship or offer toward any of the addressees.
If you are not one of the addressees , one of their employees or a proxy holder entitled to hand over this message to the addressee(s), any use of the information contained herein (e.g. reproduction, divulgation, communication or distribution,...) is prohibited.
If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and destroy it immediately after.
The integrity and security of this message cannot be guaranteed and it may be subject to data corruption, interception and unauthorized amendment, for which we accept no liability."

Old 10-14-2008, 12:45 PM
"Rohit khaladkar"

Great! This was useful.We'll go for a fresh install!
Thanks a lot for all the replies!!

Rohit Khaladkar

Old 10-14-2008, 02:34 PM
mark

Kenneth Holter wrote:
> As far as I know it is not really a recommended approach upgrading from one
> release to another. You might want to consider doing a full reinstall.

Agreed. I've never had a good result trying an upgrade that way.

mark

Old 10-14-2008, 02:38 PM
mark

Rohit khaladkar wrote:
> Thanks kenneth! But if have some customers already at 4.5 , can you let me
> know how it should be done without loss of data.
> Thanks!

Loss of data.... You have one server, not more than one? You *were* planning on
doing full backups first, right?

Also, how do you have the server laid out? I've recommended in the past that
/home and /opt be separate partitions. Do you have it that way, or are you on
one big partition? If so, and you have the space, I'd *strongly* recommend
making new partitions and copying everything from those directories to the new
ones, then you can do a new install, just so long as you tell it NOT to format
them.

There's another issue: what the users have running - have you tested to see if
RHEL 5.2 breaks them?

mark