Old 10-13-2008, 02:12 AM
"Jason Brown"

Default FSCK Maintenance - no root password

My file server locked up and I had to reboot it, when it came up its stuck
in the FSCK maintenance. Is there a way that I can run this without a root
password or reset the password? The file system is an ext3 in a raid 5
configuration.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:57 AM
Barry Brimer

My file server locked up and I had to reboot it, when it came up its stuck
in the FSCK maintenance. Is there a way that I can run this without a root
password or reset the password? The file system is an ext3 in a raid 5
configuration.

I would be very cautious about interrupting an fsck. If you reboot your
machine and press a key to bring up the grub menu, then type 'e' to edit
that kernel entry, move to the kernel line, hit 'a' to append .. place an
's' at the end of the line and hit enter and then 'b' to boot you will
boot without the root password into single user mode.

Barry

Old 10-13-2008, 11:05 AM
"Jason Brown"

When I tried booting it into single user mode the server would still go to
maintenance mode. I was able to get at it another way by passing
"init=/bin/bash" which got me to a command prompt. Then remounted the drive
with rw since it was in ro mode, and then changed the password. Now I have
it in maintenance mode again, I just need to figure out how to do an fsck on
a raid system. When I try fsck /dev/md0 I got a bad super block error and
to run e2fsck -b 8192 which gives me the same error message.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:15 PM
Barry Brimer

I don't use software RAID, but I would probably want to do this in rescue
mode off of disc 1. What RAID level are you using?

[...]

!DSPAM:48f32bb0112171984720347!

Old 10-13-2008, 01:39 PM
"Chet Nichols III"

I know this is a silly question, but is the md driver loaded and are the md
services running?
Chet

Old 10-13-2008, 02:27 PM
Andrey Meganov

Are you mb runninh LVM over RAID? The fsck should be run on the mapper
devices.

BR,
Andrey

Sent from my iPhone as I am away from office

On 13.10.2008, at 16:39, "Chet Nichols III" <chet.nichols@gmail.com>

Old 10-13-2008, 02:38 PM
"Jason Brown"

>I don't use software RAID, but I would probably want to do this in rescue
mode off of disc 1. What RAID level are you using?
5.

>I know this is a silly question, but is the md driver loaded and are the md
services running?

Services are not loaded when in maintenance mode. The server does not even
mount the file systems because you cannot run FSCK on a mounted device.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:46 PM
"Jason Brown"

I believe its LVM over RAID, but I will have to look and get back with you.
When I created the RAID array, I assigned all the disks the software RAID
and then created the RAID 5 during the installation. I did not go through
and split the partitions afterwards.

When I run fsck I get this error...

fsck.ext3: Invalid argument while trying to open /dev/md0
/dev/md0:
filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternative superblock:
e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

I then try e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/md0 and get the same error message.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:01 PM
"Chet Nichols III"

I know services dont run in maintenance mode, and that's why I'm asking. My
thought was, without the md driver loaded, the OS isn't going to be able to
understand how to work with /dev/md0, so you may need to load the driver
first before fsck will be able to read the device.