-   -   mondorescue (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/172715-mondorescue.html)

"Johan Booysen" 10-08-2008 10:24 AM

mondorescue

I'm having a look at mondorescue, but was wondering if anyone is
actually using it in a production environment with RHEL5, and what your
thoughts are about it.

Is it as useful as it seems on the surface? Is it worthwhile to spend
time investigating it? Does it seem dependable in terms of reasonably
standard server hardware? That sort of thing.

Would appreciate your insights.

"Bill McNamara" 10-09-2008 11:08 AM

mondorescue

Hi,

I've used mondo for a while now (about 2 years) on proliant architectures
from RHEL2 to RHEL4.
It works very well on RHEL3 and RHEL4. I've made many backups/restores and I
recommend it for its simplicity.
In terms of hardware, only thing I'd note is that (in my experience)
restoring an image from non identical hardware has not been possible. ie.
it's a backup restore tool for identical hardware.. not a cloning tool.
The times for backup are reasonable and I've restored always from DVD after
creation of the iso image.

Bill