Old 10-03-2008, 02:31 PM
"Nicholas G. Stamatakos"

Default Looking for Red Hat / Linux client software compatible with Sidewinder G2 firewall

Hi Red Hat experts--
Our IT department has implemented a Sidewinder G2 firewall. However,
for the Linux users at our organization who wish to VPN from home or on
the road into our network, this poses a problem.

The IT department folks tell us that there is only a gateway-to-client
solution for Windows XP/Vista and Mac users. The company Secure
Computing only makes this Safenet Softremote software for Windows and
Mac users.

Is there an open source or Linux / Red Hat version of some software that
will essentially do the same thing as the SafeNet Softremote software?

(I hope that I am using the term gateway-to-client correctly. The Linux
boxes and laptops that we have would be the client, and the gateway is
the firewall or thru the firewall?)

Thanks
Nick Stamatakos

--
Nick Stamatakos
US Naval Observatory

Old 10-05-2008, 03:09 AM
mark

Nicholas G. Stamatakos wrote:
> Hi Red Hat experts--
> Our IT department has implemented a Sidewinder G2 firewall. However,
> for the Linux users at our organization who wish to VPN from home or on
> the road into our network, this poses a problem.
>
> The IT department folks tell us that there is only a gateway-to-client
> solution for Windows XP/Vista and Mac users. The company Secure
> Computing only makes this Safenet Softremote software for Windows and
> Mac users.
>
> Is there an open source or Linux / Red Hat version of some software that
> will essentially do the same thing as the SafeNet Softremote software?
<snip>
It depends. While with AT&T, I *HAD* to use the proprietary VPN client. I
gathered that it would never be available for *Nix, because it took *total*
control of the NIC.

mark