Old 10-03-2008, 06:33 AM
lingu

Default RHEL5 BASE AND ADVANCED PLATFORM CHECK

Hi all,

In earlier version of RHEL one could simply dump out
/etc/redhat-release to determine if an install was WS, ES or AS. For
example:

cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 3 (Taroon Update 4)

cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 4)

>From what I can find the distinction between AP and base Server has
been lost for release 5 with both showing:

cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5 (Tikanga)

Regards,
Lingu

Old 10-03-2008, 10:07 PM
"Scott Ruckh"

This is what you said lingu
> Hi all,
>
> In earlier version of RHEL one could simply dump out
> /etc/redhat-release to determine if an install was WS, ES or AS. For
> example:
>
> cat /etc/redhat-release
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 3 (Taroon Update 4)
>
> cat /etc/redhat-release
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 4)
>
>>From what I can find the distinction between AP and base Server has
> been lost for release 5 with both showing:
>
> cat /etc/redhat-release
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5 (Tikanga)

Besides cat /etc/issue, cat /proc/version, and what you have already done, one
command that is rarely mentioned is 'lsb_release -a'. It is not available
with every distro, and even in this specific case it did not give any better
results on a CentOS 5.2 server.

Unfortunately, that exhausts all of the methods I have ever used in the past,
and apparently I don't have a good answer for you.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:18 PM
"Scott Ruckh"

Hi all,

In earlier version of RHEL one could simply dump out
/etc/redhat-release to determine if an install was WS, ES or AS. For
example:

cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 3 (Taroon Update 4)

cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 4)

From what I can find the distinction between AP and base Server has

been lost for release 5 with both showing:

cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5 (Tikanga)

I already responded to this, basically just to let you know that
"lsb_release -a" does not work either. So /proc/version, /etc/issue, and
/etc/redhat-release all appear to contain similar information. I do not
know of any other method.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:29 PM
"Steven Kalisky"

Just for informational purposes RHEL5 doesn't differentiate between es
and as as earlier versions.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:20 PM
"Caetano, Greg"

Check out http://www.redhat.com/rhel/compare/ for the comparison between the releases.

If you install Red Hat GAS and Cluster Suite you are considered running Advanced Platform under RHEL5

Greg Caetano
Red Hat Certified Engineer
RHCE#805007310328754